Airtran Interviewing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DCitrus9 said:
Marko Ramius, I think you missed the point of why I emphasized anything can happen. Too often pilots of "big" airlines berate those of us who choose a different life
eg. ClownPilot "Airtran, a top 5 major?

Come on. Come back to reality.

Pure wishful thinking."

I honestly don't know where we'll be in 5 years, but to take such a negative stance is hurtful to everyone.
I never claim to be altruistic, in fact I'm trying to make the most money I can by flying airplanes. We certainly don't all agree on what path that is. A friend is furloughed AA, and it is going to take several years after recall for that person to match me in pay - given all things(contract) remain the same.

I don't see anyone berating people going to low cost carriers. I think most people don't care where "you" go. I hope Airtran works out for you.

You don't have to justify your job to anyone, esspecially(sp) by trying to say major airline pilots berate you for choosing Airtran. I have seen no example of this, plus not everyone gets to go to a major airline.

hello Nyrangers, I gave you a mild recent example quoted by clownpilot, people do say negative things about some airlines. No, I don't have to justify my job, but I do like to promote any positive image I can for smaller airlines- actually for all airlines

DCitrus9 said:
Marko Ramius, I think you missed the point of why I emphasized anything can happen. Too often pilots of "big" airlines berate those of us who choose a different life
eg. ClownPilot "Airtran, a top 5 major?

While I wasn't specifically adressing my post to you in particular, I did get you point. I was just saying that much like 'Ghostbusters' the door swings both ways, and the "anything can happen adage," applies to all of us. There are indeed pilots at larger airlines who berate those at the smaller carriers, but there are also quite a few pilots at smaller carriers who berate pilots at larger carriers. I'm furloughed from a major, and have heard and seen quite a few negative comments thrown in the directions of major airline furloughees. My post was primarily meant to be a commentary on how we as pilots love to stereotype each other when the "shoes" don't often fit well in practice.

Agreed. I would very much like to see less use of stereotypes- I see it from both sides. I'm at a small carrier, with a furloughed major pilot for a wife!

Flying Jade said:
No offense Ty, but maybe if your company paid a bit better & got some bigger equipment...we'd hang around.
FJ

That is the most moronic statement I have ever seen. Bigger equipment?? You mean to tell me that the size of the equipment somehow goes into the figuring of what Major you go to work for I suppose you can't drive in anything but a Lexus or Mecedes either... do you have small dick syndrome??? And just how much money do you need to make to be happy?? You can live fine on $100k a year you know? Hell even on $50k a year you can live well. I would give anything to work at Airtran in fact it's the only Major airline I want to work for. I dont want to be a number, I don't need $200k a year to be happy. Jade, your attitude is exactly what this industry needs to stomp out. Please go work for the big 5, or 3, or whatever it is now and don't take my seat at Airtran.

TSA Pilot

He has a valid point

"That is the most moronic statement I have ever seen. Bigger equipment?? You mean to tell me that the size of the equipment somehow goes into the figuring of what Major you go to work for I suppose you can't drive in anything but a Lexus or Mecedes either... "

That statement is not moronic at all. The size of aircraft, for a lot of people (including me) is a very important consideration. It translates into a different schedule and quality of life ('different' = better). When you fly a 'small' plane, you can easily get stuck doing 4 and 6 leg days, and never leaving the freaking time zone for the rest of your career. I didn't become an airline pilot to just to see the southeast USA. Get into a heavy airplane, and you fly 1 or 2 nice long legs a day, and actually get to see some of the world.

AirTran's schedules probably arent that different from flying a CRJ for a commuter.

For the guy who thinks that AIrTran's schedules aren't much different than a regional- perhaps you should ask the question, "what are the differences between AirTran's schedules and a regional?" Perhaps that way you'd get some real info, instead of just speculating wildly.

I'll tell you this- most of our days are three or four legs. I have had some months as a junior FO where I had a five-leg day 2 or three times that month- haven't had one of those in quite a while. Max scheduled is 12 hrs duty . . . and the bid package for this month has mostly 15-16 day off lines, with the 17,18 and occaisional 19 day off lines going to guys at the top.

CDO lines- one leg each way, max (no double legs, no draft). Max scheduled duty on a CDO line is 14 hrs duty, time on the ground is 6-8 hrs, all in hotels, of course.

As for AirTran having regional airline schedules, we DO!!! The bottom line is that we are basically a large regional airline flying primarily a hub and spoke operation out of ATL. We are growing, and there is more and more hub overflying, but the truth remains, we are basically a regional flying the east coast and Florida. I don't think that is a bad thing. As a matter of fact, that is one of the best things in my mind. I don't want to fly long haul, I'm too impatient. Maybe someday, I might, but right now I have a 3 hour seat cushion. At 3 hours, I need out. We fly wonderful equipment, have a pretty good group of pilots, and the company is surviving in the worst airline environment since the 88-93 period.

I am a 3rd year Captain making over 100K. We will probably be a major, but that is really an arbitrary distinction. All being a"major" means is that you have over $1 billion in annual sales. Does that mean ATA and American are equals because they are both majors? I don't think so. The bottom line is we are a small, regional, national, wanna-be major, whatever, airline. The working conditions are good, the equipment is good, and the people are good. To each his own.

For those of you who have 121 PIC time and only want to fly for a "major", more power to you. Please, please, hold on to your goal and don't let anyone else deter you. Remember, your not really going to be satisfied until you're flying a heavy. Think "Big 5" and "Big 5" only.

As for me and the whole Airtran "thing", bring it on. I hope to get me some of that!

Latest resources

Back