• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CatfishVT9

Anti-Democrat
Greeting fellow wanna be's.

I just got back from an interview with AirTran yesterday. What a great overall experience. This was the first interviews they have done since last fall. No significant changes.

Started with the standard company info brief. May-June start date? No info on whether the classes would be 737 or 717. That decision is made at the class start. Looking to hire 150 for this year.

There were nine of us in the group. I was the only military guy. Others were varied civilian backgrounds. Some flying 747s overseas, some turboprop, I think 1 CRJ guy. Everyone in the group had a letter of rec from someone in the company.

4 part interview, in random order. Sim check, HR, 2 pilots. No technical questions, but wanted hard examples of leadership, operational decisions, career dissapointments, what you like about your boss/company, then what you don't like about them. Customer service example. Ever gone "above and beyond" to help someone.

Sim check hasn't changed. AirInc prep is pricey but well worth it. I also went to my local flight school since they have a single seat Elite sim that can be set to the MD-81 just like what you'll fly at the interview. This helped alot for only $20/hour! Still it was worth it to get the AirInc sim prep since they have a copy of a profile that is darn close and they have all the gouge power setting, config change times and expectations, etc. I think that all profiles for our group were on ATL 26L. One thing that was different from the AirInc gouge was that he had all of us do a 30 degree AOB turn with a 1000 FPM descent, reverse @180 heading change then climb @1000 FPM, return to original heading. Navy guys, remember the old S-3 pattern? That's what it is without the clock timing.

Overall it was a great experience and I hope they call. Should be about 14 days they said.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Catfish:)

Catfish,
Are you still active duty military? Also, what do you think got you the interview? Did you have a guy on the inside or did you go to an AirInc conference and do the grip and grin? Thanks in advance.
Herc

I did all of the above. Went to job fairs (only way to get called if no internal letter) and then found folks I knew who were there. They will call you if you see them at a job fair with your time. I know three that did the same.

And I've been out since 1 jan.

Keep the faith,

Catfish

Catfish,
Thanks a lot for the reply. My plan is to attend the AirInc in the Summer. I have one conatct at AirTran. Hours are up to 4800 now with 2200 PIC and 400 hours as evaluator. Hopefully, its enough. I will be available in May 2005. Still one year to go to retirement.
Herc

Catfish, Congrats on the interview! Anything that you didn't expect or see on any of the gouge sites?

There wasn't really anything different big picture wise, but some of the questions were changed just enough that a "prepped" answer won't work. Just know your stories, and be able to pull one out that fits the scenario.

The only questions that seemed like they weren't in the gouge (and I just might not have seen it) were: "tell me about a time you did a good job but got no recognition." and "tell me about a time when transition was going on and how did you feel about it."

Fortunately, I had scenarios that fit, although I had to think a minute on the "no recognition" scenario.

Catfish

Hey Catfish,

Did you use an "Unmentionable One" story for the boss disliked?

What are you kiddin' me???? The story has to end on a positive note and that useless wad of protoplasm has no redeeming value.

By the way, I hadn't thought of that tool in quite a while. Thanks for my nauseating thought of the day!!!! (but I did laugh!)

Catfish

:D :D :D

Latest resources

Back