• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and just "happens" to coincide with the first of the 737 deliveries that "WE" we hiring for but had our hiring put on hold as it now appears SWA will get our 737 deliveries instead of us.

I'm guessing this is because of SWAPA's contract. Basically, any aircraft bought by SWA has to be flown by a Southwest pilot on the SWA seniority list.

Last edited:
More than likely it simply has to do with economics...

They're going to bring the airplanes on anyway, no reason to paint and do interior twice... that gets rather expensive rather quickly.

Either way, the senior F/O's at AirTran who would have upgraded are a little irritated at the moment. I can't even imagine what the poolies are going through right now not knowing if they're going to get really hosed or not. :(

i hope SWA at least offers our poolies an interview... but who knows... i'm a little bummed cause I was expecting to upgrade soon, but this move was to be expected. I also heard that SWA put down a 30 million bond to reserve 37 gates in ATL, does anyone know anything about that? How many gates do we have now, 25 or so? If this is true, that means that SWA is expecting to expand in ATL by about 50% - not including their higher gate utilization. Should be a good growth opportunity for SWA.

Good luck to everyone!

SWA was a *little* tight on staffing for the summer, but the first of the hiring they're doing is timed a little early for summer flying (they'll be online by March), and just "happens" to coincide with the first of the 737 deliveries that "WE" we hiring for but had our hiring put on hold as it now appears SWA will get our 737 deliveries instead of us.

WN was WAY SHORT this summer. Matter of fact we are JA'ing at least the Captain side of the house tomorrow - in OCTOBER.

The classes "we" are having in January are for our March schedule whichs adds 184 flts/day to the existing schedule.

Gup

Not to mention the fact that SWA is receiving 14 new 737's of their own which may or may not (considering the new future) be used to replace -300's. My guess is the need for poolies to dry off at SWA is due to internal needs for the March schedule as Gup said. More SWA poolies will likely follow for their Summer schedule. Hiring needs beyond that are probably a work in progress, for either Company, at this point.

Last edited:
No, because all future AirTran deliveries will go to SWA and not AirTran (except for the 2 717s coming early next year). It appears all future AirTran 737 deliveries will be configured in the SWA configuration (paint and interiors) and be delivered to SWA after the deal is closed early next year. That is the reason SWA is starting classes in January.
The reason that SWA is doing hiring in Jan is because of the new flying at EWR, GSP, and CHS. These cities were announced and the hiring planned before the AirTran announcement. In fact the hiring was announced the same hour that AirTran was announced. Additionaly SWA bought 3 used 700s months ago for this additional flying. So none of these new aircraft or hiring has anything to do with the buying of AirTran!

The reason that SWA is doing hiring in Jan is because of the new flying at EWR, GSP, and CHS. These cities were announced and the hiring planned before the AirTran announcement. In fact the hiring was announced the same hour that AirTran was announced. Additionaly SWA bought 3 used 700s months ago for this additional flying. So none of these new aircraft or hiring has anything to do with the buying of AirTran!

Good news!
Any idea where SW will be flying out
of CHS?

Latest resources

Back