Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SEVEN

First Officer 1/31/2007
Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of our aircraft and have full responsibility for the safety of the aircraft and its occupants. Our Pilots are responsible for the safe and economic operation and management of the aircraft from take-off to touch-down.
AirTran plans on hiring 200 pilots in 2007
To be considered for employment, you must meet the following qualifications:
* Fixed wing flight time - 2500 hours
* Multi-engine, fixed wing flight time - 1000 hours
* 121 PIC or military equivalent - 500 hours
* An ATP certificate, or successful completion of the ATP written exam
* Current First Class Medical certificate
* Valid passport
* Legally eligible for employment in the United States
* Free of felony convictions within the most recent 10 years

I agree, but don't take it personally - it's just a mechanism for them to make a smaller stack out of a large stack of resumes.

I remember getting so upset at JetBlue because they required 1,000 hours in a plane 20,000 pounds or heavier. I did all my regional time in a BE1900D - 16,000 pounds, and I was furloughed from a major before I hit 1,000hours. It seemed ridiculous to me - and still does, but it is a way for them to whittle down the stack.

Yep, eliminates lots of good people, 1500 hours of jet pic, good ol 135 time, just doesn't mean a thing.

Exactly. I understnd TV9's point too about making the resume stack smaller, but they're doing it by eliminating lots of guys who may be better candidates than what they're getting with the 121 PIC requirement. PIC, who cares? In the 121 world both pilots do the same job, the captain just got to the company first and signs his name on a piece of paper.

IHF

first, I think the tranny is a great company, would love to work there, however, for a company that prides itself on diversity (FA's come to mind) they are being prejudicial in one aspect of their hiring practices.
I don't want to get into a pecker contest here but the 135 guys are just as qualified as the RJ wonderchildren. I know some non-121 PIC types that have gotten in, they are the exception.
why not also make a stipulation(sp?) 500 hours 121 pic or military or 1000 turbine PIC, any other thoughts?

PIC, who cares? In the 121 world both pilots do the same job, the captain just got to the company first and signs his name on a piece of paper.

IHF

Not quite. The PIC time illustrates an applicant's ability to command the airplane in a safe, incident-free manner. Not to minimize the role of the SIC, but the airlines that have a PIC requirement have that requirement because they want to hire people who have proven themselves to be able captains. Captain and First Officer are not the same job, although the vast majority of F/Os out there are more than qualified for the left seat. Trust me, you will understand the difference when you upgrade.

I would make the argument that 500 hours pic 121 is less experienced than 500 hours pic 135. Primarily because the preflight workload in 135 is 10 fold the preflight workload at a 121 carrier.

For example:
1. Captain must pull up and print weather
2. Captain must file flight plan
3. Captain must check aircraft performance (can be up to 5 or more charts for t/o then ldg, then t/o again.
4. Captain may or may not have any one to double check his decissions

1. Weather printed before the captain arrives
2. Flight plan is canned and available
3. Performance is precalculated and printed in nice little books
4. Dispatchers check everything prior to realising the flight

I'm sure you could come up with hundreds of examples and by no means does that mean a 121 pilot is less qualified. It does mean, however, that a 135 pilot should be considered to be just as qualified as any RJ driver. I only made that argument to prove a point, putting a higher value on 121 time is not accurate.

I completely agree. My current job is 135, my former job was 121. There is a lot more to think about in the 135 environment, even with our flight dispatch department helping out.
We never even know where we're going until an hour before we're airborne. It's a lot of work and very little time to do it in.
We receive our flight plan by fax and have to verify Wx minimums, runway lengths and conditions, available approaches, noise restrictions, fuel load, aircraft landing weight, etc. All in less than an hour after we hear the pager.
In 121, most of that stuff is either completed for you already, or you've already been to the airport a dozen times before and you know that you are within' limitations.
135 is not a better quality of life, but it is definitely unbeatable experience.

Latest resources

Back