Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably 10 years. Maybe more.

Probably 10 years. Maybe more.

Very true. PCL should know. He just sold out the upgrade along with our Scope. Say hello to 86 seat RJ's outsourced at AirTran, and say goodbye to the left seat. Enjoy.

Last edited:
never, we do not have enough planes on order for new hires to upgrade. we can now outsource up to 42 airframes with the new scope. i will never get off reserve.

Airtran has 51 737 aircraft on order between 2011 and 2017 and is picking up 2 additional leased 717s next February. New hires would not upgrade this decade without some major shakeup in the industry.

What if Airtran pilots some how negotiated that they would do all Airtran flying. Some sort of scope or something that wouldn't allow Skywest to do there flying. Would that help?

What if Airtran pilots some how negotiated that they would do all Airtran flying. Some sort of scope or something that wouldn't allow Skywest to do there flying. Would that help?

Talk to anyone who has lost a job with an "iron clad" (Alpa's words, not mine) scope clause. You are kidding yourself if you think that the company will not outsource your flying when it is financially viable to do so. Scopes will slow down that process, but when there is a nickel to be made, it will be done. Only way to fight anymore is to shut the sh*t hole down. That's all management understands.

I apologize for the negativity, but faith in scope just doesn't work for me anymore or thousands of others. Good luck though to the Airtran pilots.

It seems like scope language is a mirage in the industry. As long as junior gets a chubby to fly a larger RJ for less money there will always be loopholes to scope out flying. Look at that skyworst deal. A code share with a company that isnt even a name brand. One saving grace is that with those Rjs being in such demand at legacies AAI would find it tough getting them to fly for what they would want to pay. They do not even go into markets unless there is subsidies, but who knows, with the new higher requirements and the window for anyone who isnt a captain on an rj now getting hired by any major maybe mom and dad would pay airtran so that junior could fly the rjs for them. That would be the ultimate subsidized service. Besides, that scope language isnt a contract yet.

You are missing the boat. Junior flys an RJ for cheap because that is the only job he can get. Junior would be more than happy to put on a Delta uniform and fly the same RJ. It's not the kids fault. I think the negotiation goes like this.

You senior guys want a five dollar raise. Let us put 86 seat RJ's at republic, skywest, etc... Don't worry it won't matter to you... you will still be a captain.

Ok sounds good. You get our vote. The first year guys can't vote. FO's will take anything they can get... 4000 jobs later Delta has the biggest RJ fleet in the world.

Scope isn't everything it's the only thing. You fly those things at Skywest rates. Negotiate the raise later. Once that flying is gone it never comes back. You don't lose your job to Delta or Jet Blue... You lose your job to Skywest.

Latest resources

Back