• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Expects Profit every Quarter this year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If your doing that your not an H'MO, just senior.

I'll go phcuk myself now...tired of AI doin it 4 me.

Yeah, I'm senior.

I also spent quite a few occasions in Orlando while they threatned my job, all because of my strong union stance.

The go F- yourself was a little strong, but don't dare lump all senior guys together.

I've voted no on every TA while at AT, including our current contract (that passed by 87%) because of poor FO pay and reserve issues. BTW, I was a line holding captain in the summer of 2001 when it came out.

I know the selfish a-holes you're talking about, but throwing bombs at them isn't going to help.

Us vs. them will get everyone nowhere.

Last edited:
we need Samuel Jackson from "Pulp Fiction".

"What does the pilot group look like?"

"What?"

"Say what one more time M'Fer. I double dog dare you...What does the pilot group look like?"

"They wear uniforms"

"GO ON"

They fly the planes"

"DO THEY LOOK LIKE A BE-OTCH?"

"What?"
Bam!...right in the leg

What aint no country I ever heard of, do they speak English in What?

I don't need you to tell me how phcuking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys Siht. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead n----r in my garage.

Sorry - back to the subject

Lear,
You are absolutely right about reading these things for yourself. This is my first airline gig. I read those TAs - almost got sucked in by the pay rates. Thankfully, we had folks such as yourself pointing out important concessions that were in there. Your notes made me read the TA again and compare to current book. I'm no expert at the language but I came to the conclusion that your analysis was right on.
I still remember conversations with some of "those Captains" lamenting the fact that TA2 did not pass. I would try to convince them about the scope give backs. They just didn't get it.

The next TA needs to start at current book and strengthen scope. Look at how Midwest got away with calling the Republic deal a code share. We need to make sure we are protected against such a scam. I checked our current contract a while back and thought that the way it reads - it does protect us against this kinda scam from management. Do you concur on that interpretation?

We also need pay and medical improvements!

Bob expects a profit every quarter. Fantastic! Now SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Ski, you're exactly right about Scope in the next T.A., and good for you for taking the time to really READ the T.A.

I'm hoping the new MEC will let me and a couple other guys who are good at "finding loopholes" go over the PROPOSALS going to/from Orlando so we can fix things BEFORE they're T.A.'d... easier to fix it in advance than to go back in afterwards, as we found out.

To answer your question, no, there's one big loophole that currently exists in Section 1. If the holding company (AirTan Holdings) decided to start another carrier that they wholly- or partially-owned, and do a "code share" with us, thus selling them as AirTran flights, they could potentially get away with something very similar.

Pinnacle/Colgan is going through something very similar as well. Pinnacle HOLDINGS bought Colgan, and is operating it completely separately, growing Colgan with Q-400's while stagnating growth at Pinnacle. Lawsuits are being won by the union at Pinnacle that are proving the company back-doored scope, but the company keeps appealing, so YEARS go by while they continue to operate this way.

Right now, the only thing keeping management from pulling this stunt is that 1, it's not cost-effective and 2, they don't want to spend money for anything extra right now. It does, however, pose a risk when they have extra cash on hand and see an opportunity to jump into a market (Frontier) and grow it with money they made by OUR work...

We need to bind the HOLDING COMPANY in the next T.A. and include examples of Scope violations such as these. No easy task, management knows what's at stake...

Good luck to all of us!

"I personally believe it's because the Q-400 is the perfect replacement to about 50% of our 717 fleet because of the stage lengths we fly. 90-minute or less legs are up to 30% less CASM in a Q-400 than the 717."

What is the CASM of the 717 vs the 737-700?

According to your airline's Form 41 data, '07 Q3 operating costs per hour: (sorry, don't have anything more current with me!)

B717 $2919/hr.
B737 $2635/hr.

And for your reference, Horizon Q400

Q400 $2058/hr.

Obviously, it's hard to make an apple to apples comparison with all the variables in play as mentioned previously. However, note that the Q400 rate is based upon a stage length a few hundred miles SHORTER than the B717 which was based upon a stage length a few hundred miles less than the B737. If the B717/B737 stage length was adjusted downward toward the Q400, the numbers would favor the Q400 even more.

According to your airline's Form 41 data, '07 Q3 operating costs per hour: (sorry, don't have anything more current with me!)

B717 $2919/hr.
B737 $2635/hr.

And for your reference, Horizon Q400

Q400 $2058/hr.

Obviously, it's hard to make an apple to apples comparison with all the variables in play as mentioned previously. However, note that the Q400 rate is based upon a stage length a few hundred miles SHORTER than the B717 which was based upon a stage length a few hundred miles less than the B737. If the B717/B737 stage length was adjusted downward toward the Q400, the numbers would favor the Q400 even more.
The 737 has twice as many seats as the Q400. On a CASM basis, the 737 is a much cheaper airplane to operate. The only questions are do the markets you fly into support that many seats or do you need more frequency (more flights per day with less seats per flight) to give travelers enough options.

Do those numbers also include fuel costs? If accurate, which we don't know a year and a half later, break down to:

B717: $2,919 / hr divided by 117 seats = $24.95 per seat per hour.

B737: $2,635 / hr divided by 137 seats = $19.23 per seat per hour.

Q-400: $2,058 / hr divided by 90 seats = $22.87 per seat per hour.

Makes the Operating cost per seat cheaper for the Q400 than the 717, assuming the numbers from Horizon would be similar to AirTran's if they were on property with our cost structure and unknown pay rates.

Right now, the Cost for the Q400 would be a bit higher in all likelihood, as there's no way, with our current contract, that they could impose pay rates any lower than the 717 pay. If T.A.'s 1 or 2 had passed, it might be even lower than Horizon's pay, you never know.

I'm still not convinced those B717 numbers are accurate, the 717 maintenance costs are likely higher now, and we don't know if those were fuel-inclusive...

Guys if you notice FLYBE in europe operates a mix fleet of 118 seat EMB-195's plus Q400's. There CEO actually said in an interview with ATWonline.com that the q400 was able to directly compete with easy jet and Ryanair. He stated that he was able to offer more frequency at less cost then Ryanair as well as Easyjet could offer. They were so pleased with the Q400 they were one of the airlines that put pressure for bombardier to actually make the 90-100 seat version of the airplane which will have greater range as well. Some speculate that it might be placed on a different type others say that it will remain the same type and be placed as the Q500. Ethier way you dont have to look that far to see someone like Continental that is growing with them. I think that Airtran's management would love to grow with Q400's in markets that not only the B-717 flies but other cities we dont even serve yet.

Latest resources

Back