• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Expects Profit every Quarter this year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Without a strike, or at least the very REAL threat of one, including the funds to accomplish it, the will of the pilot group to accomplish it, the preparation of union leadership for it, then finally, when ready, being released into self-help and the clock starting, management will do NOTHING towards getting a REAL contract with REAL improvements and not trading away 2 things we need for every 1 thing we get back..

Damn right!

So twepilot and Scarlet what do you suggest? What ideas do you have? What is your involvement? The NPA is broken and has become ineffective. The herd sees that and is tired of it! ALPA is not perfect, but I believe it has the chance to be better than what we have currently.
Don't expect any answers from TWEpilot. TWEpilot doesn't mind status quo. He works 14 or 15 days a month, pulls in $150K/year, and enjoys another $16K/year in B-fund contributions. Why rock the boat for the junior guys making $70-80/K year for the next 5-7 years? TWE got his 6 figure W-2 by year 3. He doesn't understand what is wrong. Those junior guys help keep Airtran nonfuel CASM the best in the industry. B-scale only worked at American until they hired so many pilots that the B-scale guys outnumbered the A-scale guys. TWEpilot is part of the A-scale crowd while the rest of us are on the B-scale. There is a limited number of A-scale guys at Airtran that even give a crap about the B-scale guys.

The junior guys voted down TA2, the junior guys recalled our senior former union president (and associated NC chair), and the junior guys are voting in ALPA. TWEpilot hasn't figured it out yet. The B-scale is going to go away in contract 2009, or we will not get a new contract period.

also, just because I don't foam at the mouth, don't interpret that as my being satisfied with things. I'm not.

RV

I am not asking you to foam at the mouth, but don't talk down to the junior guys who are looking for change with your comment about herd mentality. I have done my homework with alot of reading about airline history, been at several ALPA Q&A sessions and seen some of the tough questions asked (from TWA guys for example), and made up my own mind. I don't think ALPA is the cure all. But I do think as Airtran heads into their most profitable year since 2003 that ALPA gives our pilot group the best chance of getting a fair contract for everyone (especially the B-scalers).

By the way, I am not even a B-scaler. I was lucky enough to hire on in April 2004 and get a 2.5 yr upgrade. Stuck on reserve for a few years, but I don't mind living in Smyrna, GA. But I understand the disappointment of the guys hired 8 months behind me who are stuck at $75K-85K a year for the next 2-4 years and guys hired 2 years behind me that have 8-10 more years as FO. Those guys deserve to come off the B-scale before year 5. Are they going to get over $100/hr in one contract? Probably not, but they deserve alot more than to be stuck at $70-75/hr for the next 8-10 years.

RB (4/29/04 newhire)

Last edited:
msg rec'd.. Herd mentality is a reality in a lot of things just my opinion. Surely, I didn't mean to talk down to anyone...Sorry if I came off that way.

RV

Pay raise for our most senior Captains in TA 2 = $22/hour. Pay raise for a 5th year F/O $5/hour. Some of them still wonder why the junior guys voted no. The NPA tried to throw the junior guys under the bus in 2007 and have never regained the confidence of more than half of the membership.

Pay raise for our most senior Captains in TA 2 = $22/hour. Pay raise for a 5th year F/O $5/hour. Some of them still wonder why the junior guys voted no. The NPA tried to throw the junior guys under the bus in 2007 and have never regained the confidence of more than half of the membership.

As one of the most junior FOs on property, I hope some attention will be paid to FO rates in negotiations. I know captains want what's theirs also. I don't blame them for that. However, many of us took a huge pay cut coming to FL with the promise of a quick upgrade. That upgrade has gone from 4 years (as referrenced in the interview) to what? 10+ years?

I was largely skeptical of a quick upgrade given the economy and fuel prices when I was hired so I am not surprised that the upgrade time has increased dramatically. However, it would be nice to bring the FO rates into the same ball park as other majors.

NPA= no loss of lic. insurance or aero-medical benefits.

ALPA= loss of lic. insurance and aero-medical benefits.

Even if negotiating is the same song and dance, we still get more outta ALPA. Thats why I know why many people are voting ALPA. At least were getting something then nothing. Also if anyone says oh ALPA will sell you out via scope. They should read TA2, see how management tried to get the pilots to give up scope. It was the worst scope clause that any Major airline would have ratified.

TWEpilot is part of the A-scale crowd while the rest of us are on the B-scale. There is a limited number of A-scale guys at Airtran that even give a crap about the B-scale guys.

Looking at the industry from a historical standpoint, I would argue that senior guys are B-scale pilots and junior guys are D-scale.

Someone has to fight to restore what was once lucrative career, why not us? Didn't Bob say we're going to be profitable each quarter this year? Time to raise the bar and quit settling for mediocrity!

Latest resources

Back