• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran delays delivery of aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Have there been any rumors about potential new domiciles for AirTran? I'm flying on AirTran from BWI to DAY tomorrow and noticed they have quite a few daily departures from BWI.

Wasn't there a JB thread like this six months ago. Come on everyone. Bash the hell out of 'em. The party's over...bankruptcy...furloughs. Let 'er rip.

The reason is probably gate space. Nowhere to put the new planes. Gates in ATL are very hard to get. Currently adding more gates on D-con, but even that isn't enough. Mgt. is probably looking to have the aircraft deliveries coincide with the new gates the airport has plans to build.

I agree...working in OPS I can tell you we are stretched very thin....management is currently working with the airport on converting some C gates so we can accomodate all of these 737's.....maybe moving or getting rid of one to make more space.....only 5 gates on C can accomodate them right now and the gates on D aren't much more help.....being "common use" gates as the airport calls them now we're still sharing with Air Canada, Frontier, Midwest, Continental and even Northwest of late.

Planning the departures for every week I commonly run into problems especially in the morning and also during our 9:00pm push every night.....trying to make sure same time departures aren't next to one another or parking a 717 in a 737 gate during busy times....what now 33(?) 73's in the fleet? Nothwest and Continental's leases on their gates don't expire till 2010 so we're just out of space in ATL

I agree...working in OPS I can tell you we are stretched very thin....management is currently working with the airport on converting some C gates so we can accomodate all of these 737's.....maybe moving or getting rid of one to make more space.....only 5 gates on C can accomodate them right now and the gates on D aren't much more help.....being "common use" gates as the airport calls them now we're still sharing with Air Canada, Frontier, Midwest, Continental and even Northwest of late.

Planning the departures for every week I commonly run into problems especially in the morning and also during our 9:00pm push every night.....trying to make sure same time departures aren't next to one another or parking a 717 in a 737 gate during busy times....what now 33(?) 73's in the fleet? Nothwest and Continental's leases on their gates don't expire till 2010 so we're just out of space in ATL

So what is the word on a new base?? We need to grow away from Atlanta.

A couple of managers have been throwing around BWI to me.....we'll be at around 240 daily departures out of ATL in the next 2 months....and the goal for 2007 is to approach or eclipse 300+.....

In '07 we'll see at least 5 new cities and at least one more base if they want 300 flights for Atlanta....that'd put us at 30+ overnighting airplanes and last time I checked we lease or share about 32 gates.

Has Cust Service thought about a van to run between concourses for tight connectors ? How bout we bring that up at the next management meeting.. Jack and Rick ought to work that out ..

Citrus531...

A rumor is going around that Mgt. was in TPA looking at buying or leasing the former US Airways big hangar. This would also be used for Heavy MX checks. Could that coincide with a TPA pilot base since obviously more aircraft would have to be routed through TPA for MX. We all know either MCO or TPA needs to be a base.

Has Cust Service thought about a van to run between concourses for tight connectors ? How bout we bring that up at the next management meeting.. Jack and Rick ought to work that out ..

Yeah I believe it's been mentioned because we told them we attempt to do that with crews sometimes....we'll call and have the safety van waiting at the bottom of the jetway so we can cut down some time there....

All of the station holds we put in for pax with tight connections have been getting looked at very closely of late.....the pax will get there normally in the alloted time but the bags still seem to take forever...I know Greg on the ramp is looking at ways to fix it...."Double OO", effective Oct 2nd will no longer be able to accomodate 2 717's because of a new area being put together for bag runners down there....a new area to sort connecting bags b/c the transfer point is really too small for us now....i believe up to 50 bag drivers will be in double 00 during the busy pushes trying to cut down on connecting bag delays

Latest resources

Back