• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran defers Boeings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Or are we going to have to open a can of "thread creep whup-ass" on you? :laugh:
Save the can for the next dumb*ss who tries to say we should give up Scope for a 3% pay raise...

Personally, this is the worst news for the bottom half of the seniority list to come down the pike yet this year... Hope they all understand the need to buckle down and support the NPA for every dime they can get in a new and improved contract...

... Hope they all understand the need to buckle down and support the NPA for every dime they can get in a new and improved contract...

Was this announcement part of a negoiation tactic?

Was this announcement part of a negoiation tactic?
Who's to say, but it certainly doesn't help THEIR position, either.

I fully expect them to cry poor with last quarter's loss (even though the 2nd and 3rd quarters should offset that quite a bit), but the truth is that senior management continues to give their own raises and record bonuses, and the line employees are ENTITLED to AT LEAST raises equal to or better than Cost of Living as a NORMAL COST OF DOING BUSINESS for an airline, and really, any company in general.

The facts that hurt management are simple:

1. Quick upgrades were a reason a lot of pilots hired in the last 3 years came to airTran rather than wait for a Legacy. Those upgrades are gone. Legacy hiring is gone for now as well, so now those F/O's have NO CHOICE but to fight to make airTran a better career for themselves.

2. The airTran F/O pay scale is one of the worst in the industry. No one expected to nor wants to stay on it for 6-8 years.

3. The company WILL return to profitability as fare increases stick. It's already working, it's just a slow process. Knowing that, every pilot needs to keep their eye on the ball LONG-TERM.

Lastly, and I said this during negotiations which really angered senior management: the First Officers and Junior Captains at this airline CONTROL THE VOTE. NOTHING is going to get ratified without them on board.

I'm very grateful for the senior Captains who helped, and it would have been MUCH closer of a vote on the last T.A. without them, but the simple numbers cannot be argued and, as more and more junior pilots realize we were right about upgrade times and career expectations, I would hope more and more of them are willing to hold out for "Current book plus COLA or better"; especially the ones who have been hired since T.A. 2 was turned down who have benefited from us saying no to a 20% pay cut for them.

It's going to be spun a different way by management, and I can only hope our union leaders will come out strong with communication that keeps the pilots strong and focused on a contract WORTH making airTran a CAREER, and not just another stepping stone.

This thread isn't the one you want to keep going. It isn't really a "feel good" thread for you guys. Letting it go off on a tangent might be a good thing.

Actually, I feel pretty good about it. It means that our management is doing the smart thing and taking steps that will keep our head above water during this downturn. This is a smart move.

Who's to say, but it certainly doesn't help THEIR position, either.

I fully expect them to cry poor with last quarter's loss (even though the 2nd and 3rd quarters should offset that quite a bit), but the truth is that senior management continues to give their own raises and record bonuses, and the line employees are ENTITLED to AT LEAST raises equal to or better than Cost of Living as a NORMAL COST OF DOING BUSINESS for an airline, and really, any company in general.

The facts that hurt management are simple:

1. Quick upgrades were a reason a lot of pilots hired in the last 3 years came to airTran rather than wait for a Legacy. Those upgrades are gone. Legacy hiring is gone for now as well, so now those F/O's have NO CHOICE but to fight to make airTran a better career for themselves.

2. The airTran F/O pay scale is one of the worst in the industry. No one expected to nor wants to stay on it for 6-8 years.

3. The company WILL return to profitability as fare increases stick. It's already working, it's just a slow process. Knowing that, every pilot needs to keep their eye on the ball LONG-TERM.

Lastly, and I said this during negotiations which really angered senior management: the First Officers and Junior Captains at this airline CONTROL THE VOTE. NOTHING is going to get ratified without them on board.

I'm very grateful for the senior Captains who helped, and it would have been MUCH closer of a vote on the last T.A. without them, but the simple numbers cannot be argued and, as more and more junior pilots realize we were right about upgrade times and career expectations, I would hope more and more of them are willing to hold out for "Current book plus COLA or better"; especially the ones who have been hired since T.A. 2 was turned down who have benefited from us saying no to a 20% pay cut for them.

It's going to be spun a different way by management, and I can only hope our union leaders will come out strong with communication that keeps the pilots strong and focused on a contract WORTH making airTran a CAREER, and not just another stepping stone.

Great points!

Lear,
I have to agree. We need raises. It is just that simple. Not only are the quick upgrades gone, but it looks like us new hires will be on reserve to the end of 09. I hope the NPA doesn't back down like they did with the share holders meeting. I really think that showed major weakness on NPA's part. Lets hope for the best.

Latest resources

Back