• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran CEO takes a crack at the Republic/Midwest Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heard 84 flights a day out of MKE next summer, more than double compared to this summer. Gate agent in MKE stated, flights being loaded into res. computers soon.
Is the 84 flights a day departures or total flights? We are doing 70 flights a day this summer (35 arrivals and 35 departures). We we would have to do some serious pulldowns in other markets to have enough airplanes to expand to 84 departures a day (unless we are going to accelerate our delivery schedule).

My guess is next summer will be 84 flights a day total not departures.

AirTran is really stepping up their game in mke. They are very lucky they have that headstart on the one and true low fare leader, southwest. This gives Tran a semi-chance. As far as I understand, all those midwest customers are still flying midwest since its become an all RJ operation. As long as the products are similar between old and new midwest, there's a good chance the customers will remain. Midwest is the hometown carrier, and even though fares dictate a lot, the hometown airline thing still has some say. Now if tran and southwest start offering unrealistic fares (like $10), that's when people MAY leave the hometown carrier and all carriers start bleeding themselves to death in mke.
Considering that Airtran's total CASM is now 10% lower than Southwest's (and may be increasing due to Southwest's more upside down hedges), I think Airtran will due just fine. When Southwest and Airtran start offering $39 fares to fill up the first 60 seats of their 737s, who do you think will win that battle long term, Airtran, Southwest, or Republic? And for those that want more than the coach only seat, Airtran offers a two-class product.

My bet on MKE marketshare rankings in 5 years is:
1) Airtran
2) Southwest
3) Midwest
4) Delta.

Last edited:
As of now airtan is at 32 flights a day in MKE the word from the top is at least 59 deps. by the end of the year. who knows how many will be seasonal and it will change come next year but it is going to be at least 59 by the end of the year.

I hope FL will do great and not be to scared by WN entering the market.

It amazes me that inept management at Midwest let all this flying go undeveloped for years, Look at the facts, enough flying to let the two dominate LCC fight over the riches! Total jack-asses. Hard to believe not even 9 years ago Midwest was bigger than AirTran in every metric.

What a fiction that Midwest is the hometown airline. It's a RJ operator based in Indianapolis! It is just a marketing name. Southwest and AirTran will pick over the carcass, and exploit the market potential that has existed for years.

Great Job Timmy you worthless pile of crap. I see you learned nothing at Northwestern except how to make yourself rich.

So when will Airtran have to hire more pilots to keep up with this increase? You were already short.

This is really the first time that Southwest has entered a market after AirTran has established itself. Almost every other time, AirTran has come in after Southwest. FL is doing well out of BWI, MCO and MDW, all big Southwest markets. So I would give AirTran more than a "semi-chance."

BOS, PHL were two markets AAI was in before "LUV came to town".

So when will Airtran have to hire more pilots to keep up with this increase? You were already short.
We are running a little short on pilots this summer as evidenced by all the reassignment/extensions of the last month or two. However, on Aug 18th, the normal fall schedule change takes effect with 10-15% less block hours flown per day.

The extra MKE flying is just increasing ASMs 4-6% over the last fall's ASMs which means we will be only flying around 45,000 block hours a month this fall. We have enough pilots to fly 45,000 block hours. We get tight when it goes above 50,000 block hours per month like it has this summer.

My guess is some hiring/upgrades next Jan-Mar to have some more guys ready for the 2010 summer schedule which will probably go well above 50,000 block hours per month unless the economy totally tanks between now and then (ie Dow back to 6,000, unemployment approaching 12%, house values dropping another 20%).

Great Job Timmy you worthless pile of crap. I see you learned nothing at Northwestern except how to make yourself rich.

Hey now, I thought this was RAH Pilot's fault.

We are running a little short on pilots this summer as evidenced by all the reassignment/extensions... .

...as we were last summer, and the summer before, and the summer before, and the summer before...

(ie Dow back to 6,000, unemployment approaching 12%, house values dropping another 20%).

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes..The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Latest resources

Back