airtran bwi base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jackofdiamonds

I have heard rumors that Airtran is going to base pilots in BWI. Is that true and if so when (and more important are they still hiring)??

Jack

We have been hearing those rumors since BWI opened. The company would have to give at least 30 days notice by contract. We have not heard anything new in a while. As for hiring, we are running a class of 20 right now. I've heard we will continue to hire based on our projected growth.

Fletch

I am in the current new hire class, and that question has been asked of every management type (both corporate and flight ops) that has addressed the class. The common answer is that they are looking at another domicile, and while it wouldn't cost that much to open one, it would be expensive to close it. So before they commit to any new domicile, they want to be sure of it's viability. BWI was not the only one mentioned, although it was the most talked about.

As far as additional hiring, there is one more class planned for this year, with the possibility of one additional class. Apparantly, there are still enough pilots in the pool for two classes. There is continued growth planned for next year, and they anticipate interviewing will begin again either late this year or early next year.

This is all subject to change on short notice, but that is the latest as of this week.

The only thing I could add to that is there is a crew room being set up bellow AirTran gates at BWI complete with vending machenes and some tables (at the time I saw it last month).

20 (and possibly a few more) 717's next year, 19 of them TWA's,
the rest, new. No DC9's remaining by Dec 2003.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back