• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and Sun Country rumor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For what it is worth, during a recent recurrent ground school, JL was specifically asked about new prospects for a merger/acquisition. He said we are not looking at anybody whatsoever, and are just focusing on our own growth...

For what it is worth, during a recent recurrent ground school, JL was specifically asked about new prospects for a merger/acquisition. He said we are not looking at anybody whatsoever, and are just focusing on our own growth...

he's following basic poker strategy. when weak, project strength. when strong, project weakness. same thing here. he's desperate for a midwestern base.

New hire class in June(Midwest deal still in the works) JL was ask what over airlines would make a good fit if Midwest deal did not go though....Sun Country. When he said it he thought for sure the Midwest deal would go though lending some credit to this off the cuff answer. It does some interesting and seemingly could work.

MVR

First of all JL is asked a lot of direct questions during recurrent ground school. Do you really think he would reveal AirTran's strategic plan in ground school......NO! That would not be smart and JL knows how to play the poker face. He is not going to give out information that the competition may pick up on and use against AirTran. Not that JL or AirTran is afraid of what pilots say, but if he did give you competitive information, how long do you think before it would be all over this board and other forums? So we all have to wait and see how it all plays out. I will tell you don't believe for one minute AirTran plans on going this thing alone in the future. They are definitely looking at merger partners. That is the logical option long term. Something is cranking....we shall see soon.

Dude, you give JL way too much credit. After disclosing all the info. on two failed takeover attempts, what makes you think he has suddenly become super sneaky? No one will let AAI walk in to any worthy airport and establish a serious presence. The time to do that was when all the majors were reeling, post 911. Won't happen now, internally or through a merger. So get ready to see those 737 orders sold off. So FO's, get used to the $hit pay for a long time, unless we make some noise and demand better.

Dude, you give JL way too much credit. After disclosing all the info. on two failed takeover attempts, what makes you think he has suddenly become super sneaky? No one will let AAI walk in to any worthy airport and establish a serious presence. The time to do that was when all the majors were reeling, post 911. Won't happen now, internally or through a merger. So get ready to see those 737 orders sold off. So FO's, get used to the $hit pay for a long time, unless we make some noise and demand better.
That could be an option as well. I'm just saying that guys listen to these people in recurrent and think they are going to reveal AirTran's strategic business plan. It ain't going to happen. I agree with you 100% that we aren't going to go into any city and just start a hub. That cost way too much, more money than AirTran has on hand. Those days are over. So if there is going to be any significant growth with those 60 737 aircraft on order, it will only be after a merger of some sort. AirTran will have to continue to grow to keep cost down. Now will AirTran be buying or selling remains the mystery and NO CEO is going to reveal that in a recurrent class to pilots. Considering they are 0-2 right now, they will probable have to really negotiate any new deal as quiet as possible to keep from being embarrassed again.

I think the strategy is to drive all the legacy carriers back in to bankruptsy by having them overspend on aquiring every one of our competitors....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bayonne

First of all JL is asked a lot of direct questions during recurrent ground school. Do you really think he would reveal AirTran's strategic plan in ground school......NO! That would not be smart and JL knows how to play the poker face. He is not going to give out information that the competition may pick up on and use against AirTran. Not that JL or AirTran is afraid of what pilots say, but if he did give you competitive information, how long do you think before it would be all over this board and other forums? So we all have to wait and see how it all plays out. I will tell you don't believe for one minute AirTran plans on going this thing alone in the future. They are definitely looking at merger partners. That is the logical option long term. Something is cranking....we shall see soon.

Easy there little buddy, I think most of us understand what you are talking about, hence the disclaimer at the beginning; For what it is worth...

Management certainly would not fully disclose their plans in public much less a recurrent or new-hire class, but I just found it noteworthy to pass along what JL was telling the employees. I will agree with you though, I don't think they plan on doing this expansion completely alone, time will tell I guess..

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back