Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran and Southwest may go head to head in ATL!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Frequency

Delta starts to fall apart and Southwest moves in for the kill. First usAir in PHL/PIT now Delta. What is this world coming to?

-----------------
LATEST NEWS
Atlanta Business Chronicle - 11:05 AM EDT Friday
Southwest on standby for Atlanta?

The nation's top low-fare carrier, and one that is experienced in ramping up where traditional carriers have scaled back, may come in for a future landing at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

An executive with Dallas-based Southwest (NYSE: LUV) told reporters at an industry meeting in Europe that the airline might expand services if bankrupt Delta Air Lines Inc. decides to reduce flights. The executive said Southwest will be aggressive.

A Southwest spokesperson told Atlanta Business Chronicle today that Southwest's moves depend mostly on how Delta scales back.

"There's been no discussion of Atlanta whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it can't come up in the future," said Ed Stewart, Southwest senior director of public relations. "In terms of knowing what to expect with the [bankruptcy] filing, we're at the starting gate. We just don't know what Delta's going to do. It's a question that has no answers right now."

Right now, Atlanta travelers who want to fly Southwest and benefit from its low fares have to drive to Birmingham, Ala., the closet Southwest currently flies to Atlanta.

Southwest has come in before where traditional carriers have struggled and has found success with its low fares. When US Airways Group Inc. (OTCBB: UAIRQ) scaled back at Pittsburgh International Airport, Southwest swooped in. It began its Pittsburgh service in May 2004 with 10 daily flights from Pittsburgh to four destinations: Chicago Midway, Philadelphia, Las Vegas and Orlando. This fall, Southwest will add eight daily nonstop flights in Pittsburgh, bringing its daily total nonstop departures to 19. New markets include Tampa, Fla., and Phoenix.

US Airways, fighting to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy, filed its plan of reorganization in June, and said it "remains on track to complete all regulatory and court requirements and to close on the merger" with America West Holdings Corp. by late September or early October. The plan was approved by its creditors on Sept. 12, one day after America West Holdings shareholders put their stamp of approval on plans to merge with US Airways.

Hartsfield-Jackson is already the hub of low-fare carrier AirTran Airways (NYSE: AAI), which is based in Orlando.

Not chance. They tried it before (at FTY airport). The city powers that be doesn't want 'em here, and any gates that Delta would give up at ATL have been spoken for long ago.

I'll bet you see us at DAL before you see a shamu at ATL!

Nice try, though.:rolleyes:

Who from Southwest Airlines said THAT??

Frequency said:
Delta starts to fall apart and Southwest moves in for the kill. What is this world coming to?

-----------------
LATEST NEWS
Atlanta Business Chronicle - 11:05 AM EDT Friday
Southwest on standby for Atlanta?

The nation's top low-fare carrier, and one that is experienced in ramping up where traditional carriers have scaled back, may come in for a future landing at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

An executive with Dallas-based Southwest (NYSE: LUV) told reporters at an industry meeting in Europe that the airline might expand services if bankrupt Delta Air Lines Inc. decides to reduce flights. The executive said Southwest will be aggressive.

A Southwest spokesperson told Atlanta Business Chronicle today that Southwest's moves depend mostly on how Delta scales back.

"There's been no discussion of Atlanta whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it can't come up in the future," said Ed Stewart, Southwest senior director of public relations. "In terms of knowing what to expect with the [bankruptcy] filing, we're at the starting gate. We just don't know what Delta's going to do. It's a question that has no answers right now."

Right now, Atlanta travelers who want to fly Southwest and benefit from its low fares have to drive to Birmingham, Ala., the closet Southwest currently flies to Atlanta.

Southwest has come in before where traditional carriers have struggled and has found success with its low fares. When US Airways Group Inc. (OTCBB: UAIRQ) scaled back at Pittsburgh International Airport, Southwest swooped in. It began its Pittsburgh service in May 2004 with 10 daily flights from Pittsburgh to four destinations: Chicago Midway, Philadelphia, Las Vegas and Orlando. This fall, Southwest will add eight daily nonstop flights in Pittsburgh, bringing its daily total nonstop departures to 19. New markets include Tampa, Fla., and Phoenix.

US Airways, fighting to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy, filed its plan of reorganization in June, and said it "remains on track to complete all regulatory and court requirements and to close on the merger" with America West Holdings Corp. by late September or early October. The plan was approved by its creditors on Sept. 12, one day after America West Holdings shareholders put their stamp of approval on plans to merge with US Airways.

Hartsfield-Jackson is already the hub of low-fare carrier AirTran Airways (NYSE: AAI), which is based in Orlando.

Where does it say that Southwest will "move in for the kill"? This is prime example of why I dislike the media.

Lets look at what is actually being SAID in this ridiculous piece. The title and intent of this article is ridiculous. I suggest you re-read the article before simply repeating the misleading headline. The only quote DIRECTLY related to Atlanta from Southwest was "There's been no discussion of Atlanta whatsoever."

Of course Southwest will examine their options if Delta shrinks.... not only in Atlanta but elsewhere. Of course Southwest is "aggressive".... how is this suddenly a newsflash?

So where's the story here. There isn't one but the reporter here needed an attention grabbing headline.... and it looks like he got it.

Well put, my swinging AirTran brother. I will certainly buy a beer for you at the Fox Bar, where the girls will be wowed by all of our gold medallions and tight slacks from Abbott's.

This summer Atlanta was the worst for delays as far as I can remember, two hour ground stops and holding on clear day have been the norm.

Second, of course, to PHL. When the line for take off is wrapped around the perimiter of the airport and Southwest 737's are in the mix it's hard for me to believe they want to continue to be involved in the traffic jam.

I seem to remember that the media claimed Southwest was coming to get US Air in PHL.

From my humble perch in the front of a 717, I see nobody doing anything fast in PHL, let alone Southwest jumping into another delay filled market.

"There's been no discussion of Atlanta whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it can't come up in the future,"

I don't think DL will downsize much in ATL, mainly CVG--with a 26% reduction in flights. Some of those reductions in CVG were brought over to ATL as replacements. And, it was a terrible Summer in ATL thunderstorm wise.... Hopefully that was a "freakish" Summer. I don't remember a Summer like that in years---usually we have a drought and Lake Lanier is low.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back