Airtran and H2O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

machtuck

Is it true your pilots now have to share one bottle of water in the cockpit these days? Say it isnt so.... heard it from a capt. over there yesterday.

That request came about after the liquid ban . . . seems the pax were snarfing down extra water, since they couldn't bring it on-board themselves, so the cabin crew were running low on water supplies on some transcon flights. We don't stock the widdle bottles, so each pilot is usually handed a 1.5 litre bottle before pushback.

Actually, compared to United, it's a rather generous piece of corporate buffoonery . . . . the infamous "water memo" at UAL required the pilots to request cups of water from the FA's. Not smart, in an era of cockpit intrusion, IMHO.

Last edited:
That request came about after the liquid ban . . . seems the pax were snarfing down extra water, since they couldn't bring it on-board themselves, so the cabin crew were running low on water supplies on some transcon flights. We don't stock the widdle bottles, so each pilot is usually handed a 1.5 litre bottle before pushback.

Actually, compared to United, it's a rather generous piece of corporate buffoonery . . . . the infamous "water memo" at UAL required the pilots to request cups of water from the FA's. Not smart, in an era of cockpit intrusion, IMHO.
What about cocktails?? Do you have to share them??

Do you have a copy of the infamous water memo you cite? You will find water is boarded specifically for the cockpit on many segments due to stage length. The memo was more in line with the short haul flying and the fact that there are not an unlimited number of water bottles on board the aircraft. If you are in the air for an hour is it a big deal not to have your own personal water bottle? We flew for many many years without the GenX pacifier of a water bottle. You kids these days are something else.

Hydration is a safety issue and in that regard, you should drink what you need. Personally, if I don't stay properly hydrated, I get a massive headache.

Now if I could just find a longer wire so I could listen to XM from the right seat!

Management over at NWA was encouraging a similar program a few months ago. The only difference was they requested you scan the trash cans on the way to the gate any grab any partially used water bottles. It was all part of the "Ways to save money" pamphlet they put out this summer.

I took one look at that memo and realized it would be OBE well before I acknowledged it.

Steeler Fan, that wire's gonna need to reach the left seat for you buddy!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back