AirTran and Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

easydoesit

Just throwing this out there to discuss. Looking at the route maps, it seems like this could be a really good combination. Bothe airlines are almost exactly the same size with very, very little overlap.

Any comments?

It's my number one choice. I think the fleets, routes, and size are a perfect match. Problem is that I don't think Alaska is interested. Maybe their Board is reconsidering now that merger mayhem is off the ground.

While the routes and structure might work, I don't think the move is the right one. It has now become a game of the giants. If you're small or bearly profitable, I believe you'll get ran over by the tidle wave. An Alaska/Airtran merger would probably be good prior to legacy mergers. But now even combined, I don't think those two are big enough or strong enough to sustain a coordinated attack by the multiple 800lb gorillas that might exist.

Heck, I bet even LUV will border on being too small to compete against two or three 800lb gorillas. Even they, may have the need to hitch up with somebody. But....I'm wrong everyday, this might not be the exception.

I could see an Alaska/Airtran combo. It does seem to make sense for all the reasons that have been covered on here. I could also see Usairways coming after Alaska when none of the big boys with international flying want to dance with them.

Read an article that American may be interested in a merger/aquisition with Alaska. If there is any truth to that maybe Alaska would rather merge with Airtran. Alaska is a very proud airline and will probably do all they can to remain independant. But maybe if there is any truth to the AMR rumor, Alaska will be entertaining an Airtran merger.

Alaska is a proud company with roots that date back many years.

Airtran's roots date back to Valuejet.

Nuff said on this one.

Anyone who posts things like this in reference to Valujet is childish. Karma dude, ya ever heard of that? D1ckweed.

Alaska is a proud company with roots that date back many years.

Airtran's roots date back to Valuejet.

Nuff said on this one.

You are an F/O at southwest. So your roots date back to what, The 19 dollar fare from DAL to TUL?

Latest resources

Back