• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Airways Reports All-Time Record May Traffic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well of course they did. They are consistantly $200- $300 cheaper than all other airlines, including Southwest. Matter of fact I bought my mother in law a ticket on them round trip from Jax to Rdu for $240 including ALL taxes and fees!!!!! The next cheapest fare was Southwest at $370!! That is a significant difference. This is not the way to make money in my opinion.

False you need to look at the data.....Our RASM is just slightly higher than SWA. In other words our tickets in the aggregate are more.

I have to say I saw the same thing when looking to get the wife and kids from CLT-ROC. 2 months in adv. and got 4 RT tickets for $132 each. Everyone else including my airline were $350ish. What really got me was when I picked my seats (yes you can add $50 total for seats) the plane was booked to almost 70%. Not sure if they were just blocking some seats or if they actually sold that many. Either way i'm not sure why they were undercutting everyone by 100%. Seems to me they have ZERO chance on making any money off my family and could have easly made an extra $400 off me.

Not trying to pick on Airtran as you see this with all the airlines. I'm not sure with computers and huge staffs doing nothing but REV. Mgmt how this happens so often but it does. -bean

Last edited:
Hey just wanted say thanks for helping us out with record increase in traffic. Now go have a little STFU
Thanks d!ckhead, perhaps in the future I will go with Southwest. And no, I have never applied at Airtran, I can't afford the paycut, and seeing how upgrade is going to be soaring over there, it would take far to many years to recoup my losses. Now for pinnacle, you paid for training correct? For you to call me out as if flying an RJ somehow makes me stupid, I just have to remind you that you PAID FOR YOUR JOB!!!!!! So perhaps you should take your own advise and take it down a notch. Now, except for the attack dogs on here, I like Airtran, and I want to see them survive, you can't do that if you don't charge enough to make a profit. I know Airtran wants to steal market share from Delta, but how long can you survive at cut rate prices. Oh and pinacle, I would love for you to show me where Airtran is more expensive than Delta. It would make me happy to be able to support the bottom line of my code share airline.

Either way i'm not sure why they were undercutting everyone by 100%. Seems to me they have ZERO chance on making any money off my family and could have easly made an extra $400 off me.
Ummm... undercutting everyone by 100%?

Wouldn't that make the ticket free? ;)

From $350 to $142 (what you paid per ticket total), is about a 60% reduction.

Sorry, the whole exaggerating thing drives me a little crazy. Supportable facts, even if it doesn't seem the point gets across, it's actually better.

We're not competing for market share from Delta, we already have it with record load factors.

Expecting a 2nd quarter profit, albeit modest, amongst the highest fuel prices ever recorded in the history of aviation. While I'd like to see prices come up more so we could more easily afford fair wages for our employees, we're arguably doing better than most of our competitors.

So while I won't tell you go have a cup of STFU (even though it was kind of funny at the time), I'll simply advise you to "attend to your own house".

At this rate, we're looking at downsizing from 25-30% or more at almost ALL the regionals. Should keep everyone (unfortunately) otherwise occupied.

Hmmm ... ck it !

www.kayak.com

this site almost always shows Tranny is not the cheapest .. at least in tix pricing !... grin..... But I do agree some of the web specials are too low..

lear 70, did you try to go to XO jet, AAI not good enough?
Heh heh... let's just say that AAI management is furious that I helped kill a T.A. that was going to crucify the junior pilots and retirees while netting management Millions in savings through loss of work rules and Scope concessions.

XO Jet would be a fantastic career position, but AirTran is a good job as well. Both have their pros and cons, like every other job. Why the interest?

ORLANDO, Fla., June 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI - News), today reported record traffic for the month of May 2008. The airline reported that revenue passenger miles (RPMs), available seat miles (ASMs), enplaned passengers, and load factor represent new all-time company records for the month of May.
For May, traffic grew by 18.2 percent to more than 1.7 billion RPMs based on a 14.0 percent increase in capacity. The company's load factor for the month was 79.3 percent. The airline enplaned more than 2.2 million passengers for the month, a 6.0 percent increase from May 2007.

Well at least that is some good news. Hopefully the 2nd qtr is profitable as Wall Street expects.

BFD --- It's all irrelevant if you can't make money doing it..

You must be a junior fo at AirTran?

Latest resources

Back