Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Airways Expands To Portland, Maine!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

AirTran Airways will begin 3 daily new nonstop flights from Baltimore to Portland, Maine beginning June 7, 2007. On June 9, 2007 nonstop service from Portland, Maine to Orlando will begin on Saturdays only. The service will be flown on the fuel efficient Boeing 717 aircraft.

Wow didn't see this coming. Nice city and Great Seafood! Let's see 2007 has seen Portland, Phoenix, San Diego, St Louis, Newburgh, Daytona Beach, and Charleston. All new cities for AirTran airways in 2007. Hopefully a new contract soon too! Would love to see San Antonio and San Juan, Puerto Rico added to that list in the near future to.

Last edited:
This is the type of growth Airtran needs to focus on. Growing west not a good idea. No $$ is made on those longer flights. Too much competition, fuel, etc. They should learn from Jetblues blues and stay away from transcons, imo.

Where are they gonna get an available jetbridge? jetBlue was only able to go in there because Independence' gate came available when they went out of business. I don't see another airline sharing with AirTran though. Anyone have any idea where the gate space is coming from? Are they just going to hardstand and use airstairs?

This is the type of growth Airtran needs to focus on. Growing west not a good idea. No $$ is made on those longer flights. Too much competition, fuel, etc. They should learn from Jetblues blues and stay away from transcons, imo

Are you serious? Some of Jetblue's best markets are from the transcons. Not all of them but definitely some of them. Figuring out what the right mix of transcons and short hauls is the key.

Just think about the approx 40 transcon redeyes they do each night in both directions. That is huge money on planes that normally are asleep.

Just a thought....

Where are they gonna get an available jetbridge? jetBlue was only able to go in there because Independence' gate came available when they went out of business. I don't see another airline sharing with AirTran though. Anyone have any idea where the gate space is coming from? Are they just going to hardstand and use airstairs?
Quite sure the city, the airport, and AirTran have reached some type of agreement to get passengers on and off the airplane. I guess on June 7, 2007 we will see when we begin service. The businessmen have figured out a way to get in and out, now hopefully it does well for AirTran.

This is the type of growth Airtran needs to focus on. Growing west not a good idea. No $$ is made on those longer flights. Too much competition, fuel, etc. They should learn from Jetblues blues and stay away from transcons, imo.
Not true! First of all, as AirTran evolves as an airline their route network will grow. As you expand your frequent flier program, you want to provide your customers with more destinations so they will continue to fly your airline. Growth westbound is a natural progression for the airline, its customers, and AirTran's hub. Some of the west coast flying may hurt the bottom line initially, but it is the necessary effect of doing business and building an airline.

A lot of airlines would love to rent their gates and provide ground handling to other airlines, very good profit for the host airline.

Last edited:
"The service will be flown on the fuel efficient Boeing 717 aircraft."
Despite its fuel efficient I doubt the 717 can get out there without a fueling stop, perhaps in DEN.

Despite its fuel efficient I doubt the 717 can get out there without a fueling stop, perhaps in DEN.

I didn't realize DEN was on the way from Maine to Maryland...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back