• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran adding MKE-LAS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

you roll your eyes, but is air tran in any position to lose money on any routes? we all can't be johnny o and start an unrealistic fare war. this route was more for pr in their takeover attempt to show their committment to milwaukee and in line with their leisure market strategy already in place in MKE (to the florida markets).

you roll your eyes, but is air tran in any position to lose money on any routes? we all can't be johnny o and start an unrealistic fare war. this route was more for pr in their takeover attempt to show their committment to milwaukee and in line with their leisure market strategy already in place in MKE (to the florida markets).

Do you work for Midwest yet?

Do you work for Midwest yet?

what does that have to do with anything? perhaps you are not being objective looking at this from your perspective as an air tran ee? i do own shares in both companies.

read between the lines, goldman sachs feels they can get more money from air tran if they want the company. plain and simple.

what does that have to do with anything? perhaps you are not being objective looking at this from inside?

read between the lines, goldman sachs feels they can get more money from air tran if they want the company. plain and simple.

Just asking a question. As for my opinion, I hope we (AirTran) do not purchase Midwest for various reasons that I have outlined in other posts.

you roll your eyes, but is air tran in any position to lose money on any routes? we all can't be johnny o and start an unrealistic fare war. this route was more for pr in their takeover attempt to show their committment to milwaukee and in line with their leisure market strategy already in place in MKE (to the florida markets).[/quot

Sorry Kharma, but he's absolutley right.

Now let's all be realistic here, does anyone think that MKE is actually a good place to have a major connecting hub? I think the folks at YX and the people of MKE have a genuine right to be concerned. Midwest has a special product and the people in MKE have become accustomed to it and more importantly if it is such a great place someone else would have done it a long time ago.
Whats to stop Airtran from buying YX and a year from now saying "you know what? MKE is not working out like we had planned, we are not getting the traffic from North Chicago, like we had hoped, however we are doing great in BWI and we'll just move the whole operation there."

You can try and sweet talk the locals all you want and try and convince the powers to be that your intentions are good but in the end it's all about business isn't it. Perfect example look at how US just abanded PIT over th elast few years. That used to be USAir central and now it is a ghost town.

Just my .02

by the way I agree with you that we should just forget about YX and move on. $390 million is way to much money... Drop the offer, watch the YX stock plummet and Tim can explain at the shareholders meeting why.

Last edited:
Just asking a question. As for my opinion, I hope we (AirTran) do not purchase Midwest for various reasons that I have outlined in other posts.

i hope both companies succeed in whatever they do. the market seems to be accepting this so far as a ploy for more money (MEH is down to $14.50 and AAI is up to $11.67) as if not i would have thought MEH would have fallen more. will be interesting to see if air tran states anything public today.

its up to the shareholders now on 6/14.

you roll your eyes, but is air tran in any position to lose money on any routes? we all can't be johnny o and start an unrealistic fare war. this route was more for pr in their takeover attempt to show their committment to milwaukee and in line with their leisure market strategy already in place in MKE (to the florida markets).[/quot

Sorry Kharma, but he's absolutley right.

Now let's all be realistic here, does anyone think that MKE is actually a good place to have a major connecting hub? I think the folks at YX and the people of MKE have a genuine right to be concerned. Midwest has a special product and the people in MKE have become accustomed to it and more importantly if it is such a great place someone else would have done it a long time ago.
Whats to stop Airtran from buying YX and a year from now saying "you know what? MKE is not working out like we had planned, we are not getting the traffic from North Chicago, like we had hoped, however we are doing in BWI and we'll just move the whole operation there."

You can try and sweet talk the locals all you want and try and convince the powers to be that your intentions are good but in the end it's all about business isn't it. Perfect example look at how US just abanded PIT over th elast few years. That used to be USAir central and now it is a ghost town.

Just my .02

by the way I agree with you that we should just forget about YX and move on. $390 million is way to much money... Drop the offer, watch the YX stock plummet and Tim can explain at the shareholders meeting why.

I totally agree with you guy! I said in post after post that I hope that the deal does not go through for all the reasons that you stated (and more). I admire Midwest's customer service oriented business model and I think the people of Milwaukee will miss that great level of service. There is a reason that MKE is an underutilized airport, its called O'Hare. I don't think we can sustain the level of growth that Joe and Bob are promising.

pardon my ignorance, but what happened to the MDW plan? was it thrown out when the ATA deal went away? is Air Tran maxed out there already with their limited gate space? from the route map on the website it appears to be their largest non-florida/atlanta market (or pretty close to BWI).

pardon my ignorance, but what happened to the MDW plan? was it thrown out when the ATA deal went away? is Air Tran maxed out there already with their limited gate space? from the route map on the website it appears to be their largest non-florida/atlanta market (or pretty close to BWI).

Good question. The MDW deal was a golden opportunity that we missed out on. Despite that, we have done well there with a few gates. We should have offered to take the ATA employees to help appease Mayor Daley, but SWA could always out bid us. We have four gates in MDW as opposed to eighteen (I think). There was a rumor about possibly one or two more gates but we shall see.

Latest resources

Back