• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If this is true I would like to know what the AirTran guys think.
Would you like to stay at SWA or go with the airplanes?
It might be better to go to Delta with the number of retirements
They are going to have.

Jim

I suppose they would have to look at where they would end up at Delta. With the retirements at Delta many, especially junior Trannys, would probably look favorably at going to Delta. All AirTran pilots have a spot on the SWA list so if none of the AirTran pilots went to Delta they would eventually end up at SWA.

If this is true I would like to know what the AirTran guys think.
Would you like to stay at SWA or go with the airplanes?
It might be better to go to Delta with the number of retirements
They are going to have.

Jim

What if they, the planes, go at 20 per year? Then SWA could replace them with incoming 737s. That might not mean much growth, but at least they could stay at high paying SWA.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
If so, say goodbye to the C-Series Delta pilots.... I bet Delta would fly those 717s for the next 20 years (like they fly the older Diesel 9s).

If I was an AirTran 717 guy I would hope for Delta. I mean seeing how Delta would just offer relative seniority, over half of these guys would be Captains or senior FOs. Vince Garland, Delta Captain... Has a nice ring to it. Hire date 1993. Seniority number 2. Sound good General?

If I was an AirTran 717 guy I would hope for Delta. I mean seeing how Delta would just offer relative seniority, over half of these guys would be Captains or senior FOs. Vince Garland, Delta Captain... Has a nice ring to it. Hire date 1993. Seniority number 2. Sound good General?

Too bad the NIC award had all USair Widebody Captains in the first 500 spots due to America West not having any widebodies at the time (not many though---some A330s and some 767-200s). Delta, having many more planes larger than current Airtran 737-700s (737-800s and up to 747-400s), would see a lot more than just 500 above any Airtran Captain in your dream. Your guy might fit somewhere below a current A320 Captain, somewhere halfway down the list. Then a ratio would happen (due to Delta having 12,000 pilots and Airtran having far less). Mix that all together, and Redflyer would be the Delta plug with PCL128 right in front of him, all behind me. You already have a new seniority list, and I don't think any would come over anyway since I can't see SWA giving all 85 717s at once. No way.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

What would cause Delta to have to take the ATN 717 pilots with the 717 planes?

How could all of them come over at once? Wouldn't that just deflate your new hub in ATL? It would also be a training nightmare, and I don't think they could make that many double breasted uniforms and hats within a couple months.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Latest resources

Back