• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran 717s to fly for Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How many old 737-300s and 737-500s will leave the fleet in the next couple years? Honest question.

I can't remember the number of airframe retirements, but in any case, the company sent out a letter letting everyone know that regardless of whether the 717s leave or not, there will not be a reduction in the size of the fleet. So, if the 717s leave, it will only be at a rate that allows them to be replaced one-for-one, worst case scenario.

How many old 737-300s and 737-500s will leave the fleet in the next couple years? Honest question.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Enough that SW is going to have a very tough time gaining any net airframes for years unless they decide to keep old and/or undesirable planes around longer. The deliveries are being used to replace older 737's and eventually 717's. SW will gain ASM's as they replace smaller planes with -800's but they will not gain airframes (pilot jobs). The 737 production is pretty much maxed out for the forseeable future so I'm not sure where they will get more planes to do things like more international flying out of Houston and other places or expand the flying from LUV when the Wright Amendment goes away in 2014. They will either need to eliminate flying from one place to add in another or slow aircraft retirements down.

There is no plan to retire all of the 300s. Some of them will be around for awhile. Somewhere around 80 more 800s for 2013.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see SW grab some of those AA orders that might now be up for bid.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Saw a maintenance report that showed about 40 tails retiring.... They said if it doesn't have winglets by now, it's going bye bye.

Latest resources

Back