• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran....717 or 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mostly 737 from my understanding, at least for the one that just started and the one upcoming.

With the amount of open time available for 717 FO's in April (over 1500 hrs), I would have to assume they are still short enough to need some more new hire 717 FO's for a couple more months.

For a new to the airlines guy...does 1,500 open hours mean what it sounds like?

Also, given a choice between 717/737, what are the issues?

(I'm in the 28 May class)

Thanks

73 all the way baby! Set your watch back 15 years and enjoy the best 1980s technology money can buy.

I don't know the breakdown per aircraft, I didn't ask.

I was told, however, that we're getting 50 new 717 F/O's by the end of May. 25 are scheduled for their orals next week (buddy of mine in that class).

And yes, 1,500 hours is EXACTLY what it sounds like. I was just going through open time and it looks like more weekends are uncovered than I've seen since before we went to FLICA.

What that equates to is approximately 45 reserve pilots flying 40 hours a month just to cover open time. Another 20-30 of trips that fall into open time last-minute for sick calls, and they'll block 60-70 hours and credit about 100-105 hours.

717 -vs 737? Easy choice. 737. Unless you just hate 4-5 hour legs which they don't do as much as you'd imagine. They do a LOT of 2 hour flights, just like the 717 up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

Upside. They also do West Coast and Vegas. The reserve time is about HALF what it is on the 717 (4-6 months versus 8-12 months on the 717). The 737-700 is also used in a TON of foreign countries and, if we were to ever have a major catastrophe and you got laid off, the 737 type and experience would be a HUGE benefit on your resume.

I'm looking at a 4-year upgrade. Next year when my seat lock is up I'm bidding over to the 737. Nice to have experience in both aircraft before trying to upgrade into one. Just my .02 cents. Lots of guys are happy to stay on the 717... it IS definitely easier to fly once you get it programmed.

I did 4 months on reserve on the 717. It is all timing though. All depends how the midwest/aircraft deliveries/planB/contract goes.

Short on 73 FOs

I was in the chief pilot's office the other day and overheard some stuff. I know for a FACT that we are actively cancelling trips due to lack of 737 FOs. Take that for what it's worth! But I'm in the 717 right now and loving it. You'll have fun in whatever you get, I'm sure.

Latest resources

Back