• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

uwochris

Flightinfo's sexiest user
Hey guys,

I got a couple of questions regarding airspeeds.

(1) Why does Vy decrease with altitude while Vx increases with altitude?

(2) What are some common factors that affect Vy and Vx? The only ones I am aware of are weight, density altitudes, altitude, and wind (only a factor for Vx). Are there other common factors that I should keep in mind?

(3) Why does Vy decrease with increased weight? Is it because lower weights imply less induced drag, so higher climb rates can be obtained?

(4) When I read about how higher density altitudes and higher weights reduce the angle of climb and the rate of climb, does that mean I should be using a different airspeed? ie) by reduced rate/angle of climb, do my manuals imply that the actual rate and angle are reduced for any given airspeeds, or do they imply the actual airspeeds are reduced? For example, should I use the IAS indicated in my POH, and just accept the reduced performance, or should I try to make an adjustment?

(5) Is there an error in IAS with higher altitudes? That is, since the air at higher altitudes is less dense, isn't there less "ram" air pressure entering the pitot, and hence, IAS will be reduced for any given TAS? I know I read somewhere that the airplane will stall at the same IAS for all altitudes, however, the TAS will be higher above. Essentially, I am asking whether or not IAS decreases consistently with altitude, even if the actual airpseed of the airplane may remain the same.

(6) Why does Range increase with altitude, while Endurance decreases with altitude?

(7) Is there a difference between Best Glide and Best Range speed; or, are both of them the best "lift to drag" ratio?

I hope I didn't ask too many questions:)

Thanks in advance guys.

Chris.

try the old FTH...

the FAA AC that's called the "FLIGHT TRAINING HANDBOOK"

look on page 308. It's there.

Well, thanks for those who responded, and I apologize for asking too many questions.

I already know the answers to most of the questions, I just have a little difficulty understanding the "why" part. I also spoke to my instructor about these questions and he explained them, although I was interested in hearing alternative explanations to them.

And I don't think I will be changing my avatar any time soon ;)

question 5) make some TAS calculations with a E6B at high altitudes and some at high temps at 5000 ft( like a high altitude airport in the summer). These things are important to understand. Try a TAS calculation at 34000 feet and standard temp. True will be around twice indicated.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back