Airspeed Restrictions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Blue583

I have a question about airspeed restrictions. I have read 91.117, but it seems to have missed at least one.

There are certain restrictions on aircraft above 10,000 and I'm sure others I am not thinking of right now. I was just wondering what they are or where to find them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
There's holding speed restrictions, 200, 230, or 265 depending on your altitiude, which can be further restricted.
"The following are exceptions to the maximum holding airspeeds:
(1) Holding patterns from 6,001' to 14,000' may be restricted to a maximum airspeed of 210 KIAS. This nonstandard pattern will be depicted by an icon.
(2) Holding patterns may be restricted to a maximum airspeed of 175 KIAS. An icon will depict this nonstandard pattern."
I believe that was in the AIM chaper 5

There's a section farther behind in Part 91 dealing with supersonic speed, sonic boom restrictions and civil airplanes with capabilities to go supersonic.

There's also mention of speed restrictions in the different airspace paragraphs (still in 91), such as 200Kn in VFR corridors and while flying outside but below class B airspace.

There's a section farther behind in Part 91 dealing with supersonic speed, sonic boom restrictions and civil airplanes with capabilities to go supersonic.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that. I think the exact question that I couldn't find the answer to is, what is the speed limit above 10,000. I know it's 250 below that, but I couldn't find anything for above. I'll take a look again, thanks.

Blue583 said:
Thanks, I'll have to look for that. I think the exact question that I couldn't find the answer to is, what is the speed limit above 10,000. I know it's 250 below that, but I couldn't find anything for above. I'll take a look again, thanks.

Thou shalt not throw sonic booms about the sky! (unless a waiver is obtained.)

Beyond that, I can think of only the following speed restrictions above 10,000' msl:

1) The previously mentioned holding speed restrictions.

2) Speed restrictions noted on published procedures such as STARs.

3) Operation within class B, or D airspace, which is possible above 10,000' msl in at least two locations I can think of.

4) Any speed restriction issued by ATC.

5) AFM limitations that may apply.

Other than that, full speed ahead!

Best,

Last edited:
charter dog said:
Thou shalt not throw sonic booms about the sky! (unless a waiver is obtained.)

Beyond that, I can think of only the following speed restrictions above 10,000' msl:

1) The previously mentioned holding speed restrictions.

2) Speed restrictions noted on published procedures such as STARs.

3) Operation within class B, or D airspace, which is possible above 10,000' msl in at least two locations I can think of.

4) Any speed restriction issued by ATC.

5) AFM limitations that may apply.

Other than that, full speed ahead!

Best,

There are no speed restrictions above 10,000 msl in Class B airspace in the US.

Yeah, after seeing atldc9's comment, I went looking for the speed limit in class B airspace, but couldn't find it. That's because it isn't there. Doh! Boy I guess I was stuck in a time warp where TCAs, control zones and ATAs were the order of the day. Thanks for the point-out!

Best,

"There's no speed restriction at all in class B airspace."
-mini

Seems to me operations in Class B fall under the speed restrictions of 91.117(a). There have been exceptions to the rule(remember the Houston departures?). I has been knowed too bee rong. Pleeze corekt me if i are now.

§ 91.117 Aircraft speed.

(a) Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 m.p.h.).

(b) Unless otherwise authorized or required by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft at or below 2,500 feet above the surface within 4 nautical miles of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph.). This paragraph (b) does not apply to any operations within a Class B airspace area. Such operations shall comply with paragraph (a) of this section.

(c) No person may operate an aircraft in the airspace underlying a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor designated through such a Class B airspace area, at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots (230 mph).

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34292, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91–219, 55 FR 34708, Aug. 24, 1990; Amdt. 91–227, 56 FR 65657, Dec. 17, 1991; Amdt. 91–233, 58 FR 43554, Aug. 17, 1993]

Latest resources

Back