Airspace speeds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9drvr

Hello. I have a question in this Forem or Training, so here goes...

I got my wings bent on a oral the other day on airspace speed limits.

Q1....what is the max speed in Class A
my answer, there is none. Well, well, the CFII i was with overtorques his hernia and stated it is "civil mach one"
What is civil mach one????????

Q2....what is the max speed in class G airspace????
My answer-156knots/230 mph
His answer-250 kts/no MPH
I still feel like I am correct.

Can our experienced CFI/CFII readers please provide all speed limits in all airspace please........

Class A
Class B
Class C
Class D
Class E
Class G

Thanks, and best wishes in this very bad flying economy.

9drvr.

Class A, you both were correct. You cannot fly faster than Mach one without prior written permission. As for Class G, where did you get 156 kts? Just curious because to the best of my knowledge class G is the same as A as far as speed restriction. Below 10,000 250 kts would be correct unless your minimum safe speed is higher but, G goes up to 14,500 so once again no real speed limit unless you don't have permission for mach one. I could very well be out of the loop on this and if I am someone please step in and correct me.

Hi...

It sounds to me like the Instructor was referring to "Civil Aircraft" when speaking of the maximum allowable true airspeed in Class A airspace. As indicated in the above post, Mach 1 may be exceeded with prior authorization. Rather than spelling out all the pertinent information, here are the applicable sections that would apply. §91.117, §91.817, Appendix B to Part 91, Part 36. Probably a few more, but these should help.

Regards

9drvr said:
Can our experienced CFI/CFII readers please provide all speed limits in all airspace please........
Or you can read FAR 91.117 for the basics.

BTW, your CFI's answer of 250 KTS/no MPH is just plain silly. Sort of like saying 1 year but not 12 months or 365 days.

Part 91.117

Below 10,000 MSL...........250KIAS

At or below 2500AGL.......200KIAS
Within 4NM of Class C or class D Airport underneath Class B airspace or in a VFR corridor (or as noted by chart)...200KIAS

VFR Corridor?

Ok, this is an interesting scenario. 91.117c states 200 knots when within a VFR corridor. Well, what if while IFR you are given a radar vector at an altitude within Class B (not beneath) that is within the VFR corridor?

This is a real life scenario, when coming into SDL IFR from the south or West you will often be given a radar vector at that takes you on a route over PHX and coincidentally is also known as the East or West Transition to VFR pilots.

Does 91.117b (250 within Class B) or 91.117c (200 within VFR corridor) apply? Obviously when in doubt chose the slower speed, but from a legal standpoint are you in a VFR corridor when on an IFR radar vector?

To the best of my knowledge that transition is just that, a transition, not a VFR corridor.

Latest resources

Back