Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

glasspilot

I have a question for you ATC types...

If I'm cleared direct to KPWA what name should be spoken over the radio and why. Is there clear guidance and where could I find it? I have looked in the AIM and am unable to find guidance.

On the Jepp plate KPWA is listed as Oklahoma City, OK. with the airport name right below it as Wiley Post. On my flight plan (from flight plan.com) it lists KPWA as OKLAHOMA CITY with no mention of Wiley Post.

So, when I get cleared direct should I be cleared to Oklahoma City, Wiley Post, or is it an "either / or" type thing?

This question came from my company forum where the pilot who posted was cleared to "Wiley Post" but wasn't sure where that was as it wasn't listed as a point along his route on the flightplan.com flight plan in the cockpit. I guess you could argue they should have known the name of the airport they were going to, but I can see how this could be over looked in the high tempo operation we have.

Anyway, thanks for any input,

gp

Super idea.

Except, in the case I gave.

Just always use the identifier. Then their is no question.. I don't know why they don't give airports one name and be done with it. Especially on the charts. Look at PWK. It is Pal-waukee/ chicago executive/ chicago/prospect heights/wheeling, IL.

I guess I would start by assuming(sp) that a pilot would know where he is going! Since you're not going to KOKC, I would go direct KPWA. Over the radio, you should say: Cleared direct Wiley Post.

I guess this is so complex it can't be understood.

Let's suppose an airport has four or five names. Now let's say the pilot flying the airplane to said airport with four or five names is unfamiliar with all the names of said airport.

ATC picks one of the names and clears the pilot to said airport with four or five names. Our hero pilot isn't familiar with the name. It could be an intersection (not likely in my example), a VOR, an NDB, or an airport. I think it would be a bad idea to accept the clearance not knowing what or where it is in the hopes you can look it up and make a turn in the next hour or so.

My question is simple; is there any official guidance on what name for an airport is to be given by air traffic control?

Thank you in advance if you share any actual knowledge pertaining to this.

P.S. I'm sorry this sounds so snarky but the replies so far have been lame.

CHASMO: great idea, just parrot back what atc clears you to and look it up later. You could fly for miles trying to find the willey post VOR cause it doesn't exist. I'll pass on that gem.

HSDRIVER: great point to just use the identifier. Except it was plainly stated that ATC was the one who gave the clearance, not the pilot. I do not know how a pilot is supposed to make ATC use identifiers exclusively.

SSDD: so your suggestion is to just go direct to your destination any time you get a clearance you don't recognise? I think I'll pass on that too.

No. My suggestion is that you should be familiar with the airport you're going to. In this example you should know that Wiley Post is one of the airports in Oklahoma City. So when you get cleared direct you would go to KPWA instead of KOKC.

The Jepp charts list the airports by city. The city name is listed above, in bold letters, and the airport name below, in smaller type. For instance under CHICAGO, you find O'Hare, Midway, Palwakee(sp), Rockford...and maybe others, not sure.

My point is that the solution is obvious with a little preflight preparation.

So that's the fix. Every pilot needs to know all the names of the airport they are going to? I guess it could fall under "the PIC shall become familiar with all aspects of the flight" regulation.

Just seems there should be official guidance to help narrow it down.

Latest resources

Back