• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airplane To Helicopters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can think of very few things crazier than buying a helicopter rating. I cherish my helicopter time, and most of what's been written here by the RW guys is true, but you have to be one affluent, bored SOB to go out and spend that kind of money to get a rating where you won't be making any real money for a long time, and you're basically qualified to rent your own helicopter for astronomical prices in hopes of gaining enough experience for a job that makes flying for Johnny Ornstein look attractive. But if that's your dream, go for it. But as my instructor at Fort Rucker told me daily, "I give you a 'C' for planning and judgement."

I did an intro flight in an R22 just to see what it was like and it was the most fun 0.5 hours I've yet to log. If I had sums of money to dump I'd definetely go get my private. 1 hour of ground, .5 helo= $250.

RichardRambone said:
1 hour of ground, .5 helo= $250.

And that's for an aircraft powered by a Volkswagen Bug engine, driving a transmission by rubber bands and instrumented with a rotor tachometer and an oil pressure gauge.

Funny. Most of us try like hell to get OUT.

And he wants to get into a chopper.

Takes all kinds, huh?

Rick1128 said:
What I have found out so far in my helicopter training is that you have to throw out much of what you learned to fly an airplane. Plus many things you were told to disregard in an airplane, you have to pay attention to in a helicopter. What is one of the biggest problems is when landing and your instructor is telling you to fly slower, HE!! I taxi faster than this!
Rick1128...
Let us know if they are successful in teaching an old dog some new tricks. I've been toying around with the idea of getting the add-on - just for grins. (There's no way that I'd want to try and make a living in one of those whirley things.) What are you training in?

'Sled

I have taught both FW and rotorcraft. I still maintain if you had 40 average students and 10 average instructors and split them in the middle, half in helos and the other half in FW and all will solo about the same time. One is not harder then the other, but they are different for sure. Yes hovering can be a handfull but that can be taught basically in 1-2 hours but the fixed wing will take much more prior planning in the decent to landing. Especially in the fast movers. I say have fun.They both have thier particular modes of flight where you need to be on top of your game no? Jerry

PilotoHalcon said:
One is not harder then the other, but they are different for sure. Yes hovering can be a handfull but that can be taught basically in 1-2 hours but the fixed wing will take much more prior planning in the decent to landing. Especially in the fast movers. I say have fun.They both have thier particular modes of flight where you need to be on top of your game no? Jerry
Yep, that's about it. Hovering a helicopter is the most difficult skill to get, but once that is accomplished, the helicopter is flown more in "present time", you don't have to be so far out ahead of the helicopter like you do an airplane.
Gettin' rushed on your approach?..just slow down...where's that darn checklist??...slow down...oh, there it is...ok, back up to speed...
Not to say you don't have to be on top of it and actually out in front of it, but you don't hafta always be way out front mentally turning base when you're on downwind, like you do in airplanes.

True nosehair, the hardest part about flying helicopters is hovering. Sometimes I find myself stepping on the rudder peddles in the jet when I shouldn't be. I love being dual rated. Buying a helicopter rating is VERY expensive NW Pilot but you'll be happy you got the rating.

Last edited:
Spike from flyi said:
And that's for an aircraft powered by a Volkswagen Bug engine, driving a transmission by rubber bands and instrumented with a rotor tachometer and an oil pressure gauge.

Hey,

Don't knock it too much...I got a type rating in one of those! I think I read somewhere it was the lowest gross weight type rating you could get.

Actually, the R-22 I did it in was nicely equipped. Slaved HSI with slaved compass card for the ADF with a peachy keen autothrottle (they called it a governor, but it was an early model that actually had a servo clutched to the throttle).

I did the Robinson CFI Safety course back when Frankie himself was still teaching it. A very, very interesting dude to talk to. Part of the class is when he took you around back of the factory where a few of the wrecks were stashed. Every one of them was caused by someone doing something they shouldn't have been.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back