Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATADave

Airplane advice please?

I have a friend who is looking for an airplane. I am not smart enough to answer all of his questions, but I know there are people on this forum that are.

The airplane needs a 1,400NM range with at least seven seats (including the pilot) and a cabin load of around 1500lbs. Obviously there are many jets that will do this, but he also has a requirement to operate out of a 2,950’ X 45’ runway that requires parking in the grass with 90 minutes of fuel.

I’m not even sure there are any airplanes that will do all of this, but if any of ya’all know of one, I would very much appreciate your thoughts, as well as any performance figures.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Withers
[email protected]
865-335-2187

KA350 should be able to do that with reserves. Just don't overload on pax. Westwinds have the range, but I don't know their balanced field length.

Another candidate (depending on your friend's budget) would be an executive configured Jetstream 41. http://flyjetstream41.com/group.html They are claiming lower operating costs than a KA350, and it has that big stand up airliner cabin, separate baggage compartment, and walk in flushing lav. Nice amenities in the cabin too.

I just saw your "Park in the Grass". Dunno if you could do that with a 41.

My $.02

Last edited:
Maybe a PC-12? Don't know anything about them, but know they are the SUV of aircraft. Short field, long range, etc.

Maybe a PC-12? Don't know anything about them, but know they are the SUV of aircraft. Short field, long range, etc.

PC12 meets all the requirements except the range. Figure 1000NM with reserves max against the winds with 7 Pax. Other than that, its a perfect match.

Recommend you tell your friend to buy an aircraft based on his normal use, lets say 90 percent of the time, borrow or rent an airplane for the twice a year 1,400 hundred mile, six passenger trip.

Your friend will need deep pockets for an aircraft with this capability, also it will require a professional flight crew.

short field

I'm not so sure a less than 3000 ft field with that many pax is going to work with the 350, especially when summertime is upon us.

I haven't flown it in a couple years, but that seems like you're on the edge of performance every single time. Also, to keep in mind, the 350 has a function (think it was called low pitch stop) that basically prevents the props from going flat like you can do with a 4 bladed prop on the 200, 90, etc....what this ultimately does is create a floating situation if not flown right by the numbers in the book and put the plane on the ground early on the runway.

For instance you roll in at ref +5 to 10 and try to get cute with the plane in ground effect you'll find yourself 6000 plus feet down the runway when the book says 3100ft. Now it's easy to say well you can't come in fast and you can't float, but we all know when it gets windy or w/e that's not as easy as it sounds sometimes. On a 2900 something runway you aren't going to have any leeway (keep in mind you can land the plane in 1500ft or so if you really plant it).

The King Air 350 is the best plane I've ever flown, but it's not the "short-field" runway plane some of the other King Airs are we know and love.

Might be a little more uncomfortable to the passengers but I would, from a pilot's perspective, rather be in a 200 in that short of a field.

Get a QRH and check out the numbers a little bit. I don't have much knowledge on the PC12 but from what I've heard you might be suited better with that for your specific requirements.

Best of Luck

Thanks a million for the advice everyone!

There are a lot of good ideas here, most of which I had not thought of. If this forum is good for nothing else, you can sure get some synergy here.

I noticed no one suggested a -10 powered Turbine Commander?????????

Sincerely, Thanks again ya’all!

Tailwinds,
Dave Withers

In the grass?? no thanks.

Plus Garrets suck. ;)

Understand the Garrett comment, but not sure what you mean by the first statement. Does this mean that you don’t like to park in the grass? Well, I don’t either, but that’s where we park. Does this mean that I can’t park a high wing turboprop in the grass? I thought that would be something they would be good at.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave

Latest resources

Back