AirNow Interview Gouge - As of 7/12/06

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tar Heel

For those of you interested I thought I would post this. The interview process was rather direct and quite pleasant. You arrive at the William H. Morse airfield in Bennington, VT (the home of AirNow). Check in with the receptionist and be prepared to handle some paperwork including another form of their online resume. In my opinion it would be a good idea to bring an extra copy of yours as well as photocopies of your DL, medical and certificates. Also bring a breakdown of your flight time because the paperwork involved asks for it.

There is also a mini-psych eval attachment. Nothing to stress over, just answer the questions honestly and you'll be fine. Then there was a panel interview. My panel consisted of the new D.O., the Executive V.P. and their head of maintenance. This portion lasted about an hour. Pretty much a lot of "tell me about a time" style questioning. Strengths and weakness questions. Nothing very technical in my interview though that's not to say one should not prepare (I was interviewing for a FO position on the SD360). Why AirNow? Where do you see yourself in five years? Things along that nature. Then I met with the CP to do the sim ride.

The sim is the probably the toughest component because it is a PCAD which is extremely sensitive. But the ride is quite simple though. In my case I departed runway 01 KALB (Albany). Vectors for the airway and fly to the Cambridge VOR (CAM 115.00) and execute the full VOR approach into Bennington. In my case I flew over the VOR and began the full approach to find out the weather is below published minimums so enter the hold, it will be a direct entry if you fly the procedure turn as published. Hold and do a few laps. Then elect to weather divert to ALB and expect vectors for intercept for the ILS 28 ALB and done.

The CP allowed me to look over the plates and charts before hand so it made it somewhat easier. He was even willing to assist in tuning radios and radials if requested (again I was interviewing for a FO position). Then met with Mel from HR who walked me through benifits and other opportunities available from the company. All in all a nice experience and seems like a nice place to start a career. If anyone has any further questions about places to stay, etc. when interviewing please feel free to PM me. I hope this helps as I know the company is currently looking to interview Shorts captains. In my case if hired I would be based in Savannah, which is where the two aircraft are based.

Tar Heel

Tar Heel said:
For those of you interested I thought I would post this. The interview process was rather direct and quite pleasant. You arrive at the William H. Morse airfield in Bennington, VT (the home of AirNow). Check in with the receptionist and be prepared to handle some paperwork including another form of their online resume. In my opinion it would be a good idea to bring an extra copy of yours as well as photocopies of your DL, medical and certificates. Also bring a breakdown of your flight time because the paperwork involved asks for it.

There is also a mini-psych eval attachment. Nothing to stress over, just answer the questions honestly and you'll be fine. Then there was a panel interview. My panel consisted of the new D.O., the Executive V.P. and their head of maintenance. This portion lasted about an hour. Pretty much a lot of "tell me about a time" style questioning. Strengths and weakness questions. Nothing very technical in my interview though that's not to say one should not prepare (I was interviewing for a FO position on the SD360). Why AirNow? Where do you see yourself in five years? Things along that nature. Then I met with the CP to do the sim ride.

The sim is the probably the toughest component because it is a PCAD which is extremely sensitive. But the ride is quite simple though. In my case I departed runway 01 KALB (Albany). Vectors for the airway and fly to the Cambridge VOR (CAM 115.00) and execute the full VOR approach into Bennington. In my case I flew over the VOR and began the full approach to find out the weather is below published minimums so enter the hold, it will be a direct entry if you fly the procedure turn as published. Hold and do a few laps. Then elect to weather divert to ALB and expect vectors for intercept for the ILS 28 ALB and done.

The CP allowed me to look over the plates and charts before hand so it made it somewhat easier. He was even willing to assist in tuning radios and radials if requested (again I was interviewing for a FO position). Then met with Mel from HR who walked me through benifits and other opportunities available from the company. All in all a nice experience and seems like a nice place to start a career. If anyone has any further questions about places to stay, etc. when interviewing please feel free to PM me. I hope this helps as I know the company is currently looking to interview Shorts captains. In my case if hired I would be based in Savannah, which is where the two aircraft are based.

Tar Heel

Are the 2 shorts doing on demand or do they have a DHL/UPS route? Any idea how much flying you'll be doing and what starting pay is?

Steve,

In response to your first question I am not really sure. I do know they currently have 2 Shorts in KSAV. It was my impression that the crews in KSAV are flying a lot. The company has a third SD360 sitting in Bennington and having maintence done. They are hoping to bring it online sometime this year. The starting pay for FO was about 18,000 a year if not mistaken. I do hope that helps. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Tar Heel

They have two scheduled Shorts runs for UPS out of SAV. Both depart around 8 PM fly to CAE, overnight at crashpad and fly back around 6 AM. Im pretty sure one Shorts flies Mon-Sat and the other Mon-Fri. Averages about 35 hours a month.

I remember arriving at the Morse State airport in January 1998......UGGH! What in tarnation happened to the "Taco Bell King Airs"? They get rid of them and pick up some "Boxcars" instead?

I know they had a string of Bandit crashes, maybe they determined that the Shorts was a better fit.

Latest resources

Back