Airnet!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Unchilled

I've always wanted to fly freight. From as best I can tell, Airnet is an excellent freight company to fly for. I've learned a ton of info about them after sifting through the posts on this board. I have a few specific questions about them. First, what is their future growth look like? Are they looking to expand in particular aspects? Also, can someone give me a ballpark idea of how long it might take to go from piston capt. to Lear F/O? I know at the moment the upgrades are virtually non-existent, but how were they pre 9/11? Also, I understand that even though they're a 135 operation, many of the Lear captains bypass the regionals altogether and often go straight to the majors (when they're hiring) My ulitmate goal is to fly freight for a major airline, is Airnet a good stepping block?

I appreciate your help.

-- Unchilled

Prior to getting hired at USAir, I never flew for any passenger carriers and only flew fr8 for about 7 years. So, it is possible. The key, however, to getting hired at any airline is getting yourself in the left seat of as many airplanes as you can. In my opinion, PIC time is still the most valuable time to have in your logbook. So, steer yourself in the direction of the companies that will enable you to log that valuable PIC time. That generally means flying fr8. They generally offer the opportunities to be in the left seat as most fr8 operators are only single pilot operations. I was told by the check airman at U that the best overall instrument pilots he has trained over the years came from the ranks of the fr8 dogs. Working in a single pilot all-weather operation is an incredible confidence builder and in my opinion is a great way to hone your flying skills. It really is all a matter of luck to begin with when it comes to getting hired at the majors, but having a logbook full of PIC time is worth its wieight in gold. Again, just my opinion!!!!

Upgrade before the end of last year was about 12-14 months. Now.......who knows. We've stopped hiring because noone is leaving. The bid sheets have been blank the last few weeks.

Airnet still plans on expanding our charter dept. and we are flying weekends now with the new DOD contracts. The stock is holding steady with future growth expected. Airnet Stock

We have allot of guys that have gone straight to Southwest and a few other majors. Netjets in CMH is known as "Airnet North" since many guys get hired over there. Airnet teaches you to fly fast, aggressive and accurate while still being safe. Turns at the marker and high-speed approaches (Cat. C in a 310, Baron or Chieftan) are the norm every night and expected.

It's some of the most difficult and fun flying you could probably do (in the civilian world anyway).

Sure, they have some issues as all companies do, but they're safe, the equipment is reliable and I think freight is the best stepping stone you could use. Not to mention, you'll make 2X as much in your first year as you would at a regional pulling gear and reading checklists.

P.S. Sleeping in the back of an old freight pig with the mosquitos because the FBO is too noisy kinda sucks.....

Latest resources

Back