Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the responses!

Although I have quite awhile to think about it, I'm almost seriously considering Airnet for the time being (if and when I would be able to get hired there). The pay is awesome (comparable to regionals) and it seems, as far as I can see, the job security is a little bit more solid than being a SIC in a 1900 or similar.

Not only that, but a few people I've known have gotten hired there recently and it seems that from what they tell me the upgrade time is also rapidly dropping as they lose their captains to other airlines. It sounds like a great operation that allows you to build your PIC time rather quickly (if not in turbines at least in multi's to start). I had heard by friends that Airnet was questionable but it seems I was mis-informed as everyone else I've talked to that actually worked at the company really likes it.

I had seen on these boards somewhere that 12 LJ capt's at Airnet have just left for southwest and that's why I was inquring.

Anyway, thanks again
~wheelsup

Regional Option

Hey there!

If you do consider regionals take a look at Mesa Air Group. We are hiring 500 this year and right now we are taking street captains into the 1900D, I think that the upgrade time to Dash-8 captain is just a few months as well. Hope this helps, you'll get your 1000 in a year here.

Take care and keep the blue side up,

James Shirley

Re: Regional Option

pilot01 said:
Hey there!

If you do consider regionals take a look at Mesa Air Group. We are hiring 500 this year and right now we are taking street captains into the 1900D, I think that the upgrade time to Dash-8 captain is just a few months as well. Hope this helps, you'll get your 1000 in a year here.

Take care and keep the blue side up,

James Shirley

I thought that there was a seat lock on aircraft. I heard that from a friend who is an FO there. Did I miss something?

Kathy

I thought that there was a seat lock on aircraft. I heard that from a friend who is an FO there. Did I miss something?

There is a seat lock from my understanding however based on need management has the option per the contract to pull some while still in class and assign them to reserve captain. They seem to be short on Dash captains due to the fact that a lot of the MAPD grads do not have enough time nor do they have ATP minimums. I think the last few Dash classes had 14 or so in each that went right to captain out of class (4 or so supposebly washed out in sim/oral). A friend is at Mesa and mentioned this when we spoke but I think this is p!ssing a good majority of the pilot group off.. I would only assume that this practice will soon be stopped dead in it's tracks.

3 5 0

Seat Lock-Turboprop.

There is a seat lock, once a pilot upgrades (18months) before they can bid another higher paying seat (1900 to ERJ/CRJ).

However for someone looking to build 1000hours turbine PIC, 18 months should be sufficient to meet SWA mins. (not that you'll be competative)

If fast upgrade is what you desire, take a look at Air Midwest. Upgrades are as fast as 2 months after IOE, or in somecases...as soon as you can hold an ATP and/or feel ready for the responsibility.
(the main reason for the fast upgrades are the large amount of MAPD and other low time programs that Mesa uses to fill their pilot ranks as well as Captains going over to the Jets)

Well, everyone is right about what is going on here and if you are looking for a fast upgrade with alot of flying this is the place to come. Mesa is hiring street captains for Air Midwest right now. A cargo guy that I gave new hire IOE to two weeks ago just got awarded captain, so we are at the bottom of the seniority list for upgrades. Yes, there is a seat lock and yes the company has the option to eliminate it. I did not look at the last standing bid that came out last week, but the one before was all newbies going to Dash 8 upgrade. The San Juaner situation is true too, they get hired but dont have the mins to upgrade so we have to move past them on the seniority list. I got an email from our Chief Pilot last week saying that if we knew of anyone that wanted a flying job to let them know that now is the time.

Good luck with the lear or coming here to get PIC time, and good luck with your SWA quest! I got the call last week and have a April 5 interview date!!! Thank the Lord! My wife was getting jealous of the relationship that the phone and I were developing!
Any word form the May interviewees yet?

Wish me luck!

Latest resources

Back