Airnet Question???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone gets checked in a Baron.

Yep, Baron... then you get transitioned into whatever else is flown at the base you choose.

One question,

When did Airnet become the place to be? It seems like every CFI in the world wants to go fly night freight. Is flight instructing that bad? I'm not taking anything away from the Airnet guys, they work hard, but I can't imagine why someone would leave a good CFI job to go bust arse flying single pilot frieght when the end outcome will probably be the same; a regional job.

If you want to fly for an airline than just wait a little while. Things will return to normal shortly. Just my opinion though. Flame away, I'm interested to hear why guys think they need that kind of time to get a job.

You improve your flying and judgement skills more by flying single pilot IFR at night than you would flying right seat watching someone do S turns over a road.

I think given the choice a regional airline prefers to have a pilot with 135 experience. When times were good cfi's could get interviews. Times aren't so good, hence the need for 135 experience. Some of these cfi's probably have seen a reduction in flying and are looking for ways to pay bills and continue to build time.

Once things go back to normal, hopefully soon as you said ATRCA, who will have the better looking resume a CFI with 2000hours of watching someone fly, or someone who did the CFI thing for 1000 hours and then flew 135 for another 1000 hours. That maybee one reason to choose AirNet or similar 135 companies over instructing.

But I think AirNet has some other positives. The pay is more than many regionals. This is my first year and I'm on pace to make about $29K this year. Not many CFI's will do that or first year regional pilots. I think I made about $15K as a CFI.

We also have an opportunity to upgrade to the Lear, and pre 9/11, many of the Lear pilots skipped the regional thing and went straight to some of the majors. That is what my original plan was, but now it seems like it will be forever until I have a chance to bid a Lear spot. But hopefully things will return somewhat to normal soon.

On top of all that, 135 flying for any company is better flight experience than instructing. I think I learned more my first week on line flying into Airports like BOS, and IAD, then I did instructing for a year flying into little tiny uncontrolled airports in the midwest.

Of course Airnet has its negatives, but doesn't every company in any field of work. I'm happy where I'm at for now, and I think most other Airnet pilots would agree.

Just my 2 cents

Those are all good points, however I can tell you that where I work, 135 time was not required to obtain employment, in fact, I would venture to say that about 90% of our new hires were
CFI's with little or no turbine time and no 135 experience. Who knows, I'm not infereing that Airnet is a bad choice, I just dont think it is as necessary as some may think. Times are tough now, but it will get better. I think by this time next year some of the larger reqionals will be hiring again. Some (ACA, Comair) are hiring now. Good luck.

BTW, I personally think that flight instructing in some of the best time you can get particularly those who do a great deal of instrument instructing. I can usually tell who flight instructed and who did not when I fly with folks on the line. CFI's are good pilots. Just my opinion though. See yah.

Don't forget that many people prefer being home EVERY night and off EVERY weekend.

I will never be as proficient as I was when I was at AirNet/U.S. Check. Flight instructing is fine, but when you get that occasional night of 6 approaches to 1800RVR, by yourself (it DOES happen) - you will really learn where your strengths and weaknesses lie.
When you get the big interview, that experience is golden.

Glad I chose that route.

V1Cutt

What are the chances of getting on with Airnet? Is there a high turn-around rate. I know that the industry is slow right now, but what is the average? I was thinking of myself, after the commercial and multi, and just skipping CFI. I will not ever fly for a major (personal reasons, including a background)

Latest resources

Back