Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jedi_Cheese

Remove your shoes please!
I'm going to put in an application but would like to know a few questions before I hit the send button.

First, they say you need a 1st class medical but they say that you need it to apply in some places and in others you need to only have it before getting an reemployment offer. I have a 2nd class now, can I apply and then before I go to the interview get a 1st class? Will I get myself blackballed if I don't have a 1st Class Medical when I hit the send button or would the HR people be willing to play with it?

Second, is seniority based on hire date or from the day you pass your PIC 135 checkride? I don't have 1200tt and thus would go into their SIC program.

Third, how often do STP or MKE bases come up for bids for pistons? How about MDW or STP for jets?

If you have a 1st class w/ 2nd class privilege - ok, probably. If you have a 2nd class, get a 1st. you need one to work here and its ok to let it go to 2nd class privilege - we all only get one physical a year. one way or the other, if you have over 1050TT and don't wreck the sim, you'll get a quick class date and hafta get a new one anyways, so you might as well pick up a few extra hours and buy a new medical.as far as stp/mke props, maybe twice a yearish (1 run w/ a 2 pilot rotation in stp, 1 run w/ 1 pilot in mke) as for the jets, i think a stp sic has come open twice in my year and a half here. o yeah, and seniority is based on class date. highest TT gets highest seniority and so on.

Last edited:
Just so I get an idea of where I'll go, what runs come up most frequently? Also, do you get base locked once you bid on something in another base (I think this came up a little while ago, but I can't find it)?

Just so I get an idea of where I'll go, what runs come up most frequently? Also, do you get base locked once you bid on something in another base (I think this came up a little while ago, but I can't find it)?
No after you get your initial base then you are allowed 1 move per seat position. Prop pic, Lear SIC and Lear PIC get it.

Definitely get the first class before you apply. The initial applications are computer scored, and every box checked or every number above a certain value gets you a point. Everyone above a certain point threshold gets the phone interview. I applied several times with times well above the 135 mins with no joy, but as soon as I got the first class med and reapplied, I had the phone interview 2 days later.

As for the base openings and route structures, I'll defer to the judgements of the current starcheckers since my info would be 6 months out of date.

And to be honest, those last couple months I was there I wasn't really paying much attention. :pimp:

MKE is locked up until the end of the summer probably at the earliest.
Airnet is desperate for pilots right now. With airlines hiring at 300 hours its tough to get qualified guys in here.
Teterboro and Bradley seem to be the most junior bases right now. But if you get hired anytime soon you'll most likely get a base right after training something that wasn't a luxury about 4-5 months ago.

Airnet is desperate for pilots right now. With airlines hiring at 300 hours its tough to get qualified guys in here.
Teterboro and Bradley seem to be the most junior bases right now. But if you get hired anytime soon you'll most likely get a base right after training something that wasn't a luxury about 4-5 months ago.

Anybody hired into a specific base recently? Can you guess how often BUF is available? I know......., BUF???? But my wife has a great job! Somebody has to pay the bills.

As far as people being hired into bases is concerned, I haven't ever heard of that happening, but I've only been here a little under a year.

I talked to some of the pilots that were in Buffalo and one of them told me the story. A little over a year ago they couldn't hardly keep pilots there. The runs were frequently covered by reserve pilots and sometimes even had to be chartered out to another company. Then the class that this guy was in went through. Most of them were assigned Buffalo and most of them stuck with it. They just happened to get runs that worked with what they wanted. So Buffalo wasn't on the bid sheet for the most part for about a year. Recently though all those guys have gotten the time neccessary to either get to the jet or move on from AirNet. As such, Buffalo has been open off and on over the last few months.

The moral of this story is that there is absolutely no way to determine whether the base you want is actually going to be available after you get out of training. The people who are in Buffalo no may not want to be there and may be moving soon or they may be perfectly satisfied and it may be a long time before you can get it.

What about housing. After training, is it be at this base on this date? Is there temp. housing at bases until you find a place? Are you on your own to find a place?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back