Airnet Pilots- Commuting and Dallas??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mdt301

I currently live in Dallas, TX thinking about applying to airnet. I have hopes of trying to get back to Dallas in a year or so. Curious as to how hard that may be because of seniority an how often it is open? Also I know that say “we don’t recommend commuting to your base” but do people, and how hard is it?

Dallas is a very senior jet base especially at the captain level. Commuting would be relatively easy with southwest in Dallas. Airnet schedules are usually m-th so if you wanna commute thats your option but gets to be a pain in the butt. Floaters(reserve) have 8 on 6 off which makes commuting alot easier.

My suggestion to everyone asking, "can I get this base can I get that base?". Yes anything "can" happen. However, by the time you get in, go through training, and bid everything will have changed ten times. So to answer your question, if you want to work for Airnet out of "XYZ" yes you will eventually get there. Just concentrate on getting hired first. Then, you may have to wait a bit but eventually you'll get in the base that you really want. Be it 1 month or 10 years eventually you'll get there. O yea and till the company folds the DAL captain isn't going anywhere.

My suggestion to everyone asking, "can I get this base can I get that base?". Yes anything "can" happen. However, by the time you get in, go through training, and bid everything will have changed ten times. So to answer your question, if you want to work for Airnet out of "XYZ" yes you will eventually get there. Just concentrate on getting hired first. Then, you may have to wait a bit but eventually you'll get in the base that you really want. Be it 1 month or 10 years eventually you'll get there. O yea and till the company folds the DAL captain isn't going anywhere.

that's about as well as it can be put.

as far as commuting, about 80% of the pilots i know commute on the weekends. i did it for a year and then i got the seniority to work where i live.

Right now there are no prop runs based at DAL. I fly the run out of TUL that stops at DAL and there are a couple of Commander 500s that base there on contracted runs. There are two Lear runs. One has had the same crew for as long as I have been with ANS (1 1/2 yrs), and I would agree with Rubicon that both seats are closed as I don't see the SIC going anywhere either, but the other has replaced the SIC twice in the last year and both were very junior when they were awarded their bids.

I commuted out of TUL for about a year before getting based there and had good success getting back and forth, even before we got CASS approved. Now that we have CASS it will only improve the commuting situation. Your best bet would be a reserve position what runs an 8 on / 6 off schedule. We have reserves based at LCK, TEB, and I believe BDL. That would give you the most flexibility getting back and forth, but I can attest that commuting with a weekly run is possible.

I'm 16 mos in the props and counting. As of the current seniority list there are 11 guys ahead of me but I know some of those are either staying in the props or holding out for a specific jet. It's been a bit slow lately but it's like that towards the end of the year. I'm counting on it picking up after the first of the year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back