Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jws717

registered abuser
I am 21 year old F/O with 4 year degree working for a regional airline that is falling apart. If i decide to jump ship and head for the Airforce, anyone know how long untill i am flying airplanes again. Does anyone think this is a good/ bad idea. I am kinda sick of the airline industry at this point, with all the whining and persitant bad news.

Airline to MIL

Well, that's certainly an unusual direction .. but then again these times are a changin. Your age is on your side, so it's possible and there are a lot of guys that do 121 while the cash is good and then come back to the safety of uncle sugar. The getting in process will take about a year (tests, boards, etc) if all goes well. And then about 18 months for the training. So probably you'll be flying the line in about 3 years from now. Be sure to learn how to bite your lip because AETC will convince you that you know nothing about flying ... it's part of the system (not sure why ... but it's a lot easier & kinder than 2 decades ago so no worries it's doo-able). Good luck with it.

Sounds like a good idea to me - if you are willing to make the commitment (10 years). When I went through UPT I had an instructor who did just this. He was an excellent pilot and had no problem with the transition. Don't forget to investigate the guard and reserves, they are the best kept secret in military flying.

I'd say first stay where you are if you like to fly. But if you are looking for that military flying go to the Guard or Reserve. But don't come to Beale since we are converting to the Global Hawk (unless you are looking for the UAV and 1 hour a month in a C-172) despite what the managment says!

Good luck and do you know anyone that is hiring since I'm out of a job in 18 months?

best u don't have clue what your talking about

KC pilot, i see fedex in you future, but a few of the airlines are starting to hire. Contenental, Southwest, Jet Blue and soon Alaska. Thanks for the help

thebest said:
You will be so far ahead of anyone! THe rest will walk into class thinking they are going to walk right into top gun. THen they get in the plane and realize they are just a dumb A$$. But get ready to cut WAY back on you'r flying time, and still think you are the greatest thing ever! THEBEST

Here he goes again....

thebest said:
You will be so far ahead of anyone! THe rest will walk into class thinking they are going to walk right into top gun. THen they get in the plane and realize they are just a dumb A$$. But get ready to cut WAY back on you'r flying time, and still think you are the greatest thing ever! THEBEST

Come on back to bed dear and how many times do I have to tell you to leave these poor pilots alone!

thebest said:

The BEAST. What a doofus. Go back to your x-box since you wouldn't make it in the military. Guys like you who think just because they have some flight time that they will smoke the program. Some do. Most don't.

I've seen guys with 2000 hours who do smoke through Primary Training and then quickly wash out of Jets because they couldn't think fast enough above 200 kts. I've seen Harvard grads who crash the simulator with a landing gear malfunction.

Sure some do well, but no one knows which guys will perform until they are in the seat. Until you strap on that jet, you are just another jealous wannabe.

thebest said:
I am not your man lover....This will be reported to the moderators.....THEBEST

Let me apoligize for my wife (THEBEST), she's going through 'the change of life' now and it really makes her cranky sometimes. I think she takes it out on you fine men and women in the military. For that I'm sorry, but let me say thank you for your service and keep up the good work. I know it is a tough calling that not everyone can answer.

Now dear, how about I get you on one of my planes for a nice shopping trip for some new dresses? I'm sure that will make you feel better. When you get back 'little gary' will be waiting for you......you're THEBEST dear.

Latest resources

Back