• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines seek to move air marshals from first class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I haven't heard this many ignorant comments since...oh, my last visit to FI.

There is a lot of information being left out of this conversation and those whining about the FAM's in first obviously have no idea what they're talking about...how did a bunch of FA's get on this board anyway?

Where were at least 2 of all the 9/11 hijackers on each flight seated? Thats right! First class! Personally I like having the FAM's back there.

Whoever is in charge of these air marshalls obviously picked the wrong week to stop smoking.

Washington (CNN) -- Two U.S. air marshals who arrested the wife of a Brazilian judge on a flight to Rio de Janeiro -- and were themselves arrested and had their passports confiscated by Brazilian authorities -- fled the country using alternate travel documents rather than face what they believed to be trumped-up charges, sources said.

The incident has impacted air marshal operations on flights to Brazil, officials said, and air marshals contacted by CNN said the case raises questions about Brazil's willingness to support future law enforcement actions by U.S. officials on international flights.

The incident occurred on October 1 on Continental Flight 128 from Houston, Texas, to Rio de Janeiro. During the flight, a female passenger who appeared to be intoxicated tried to serve herself drinks by going to the plane's galley, one source said. The plane's crew asked air marshals to intervene, and two marshals approached the woman, who began struggling with them.

Two sources said the woman bit one of the air marshals, and she was handcuffed and placed under arrest.

At the Rio airport, the air marshals went to turn over the woman to local authorities but were themselves brought before a federal judge and charged with misdemeanor counts of assault, sources said. Brazilian authorities took the air marshals' passports, so they could not leave the country and set a court hearing for the following week, sources said.
"They (Brazilian officials) did not want them to leave. They were not free to go," one U.S. law enforcement source said.

But the air marshals used alternate travel documents and quietly departed the country on a commercial flight that same day without the knowledge of the Brazilian court officials who had sought their detention.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/21/us.brazil.air.marshals/index.html?npt=NP1

Also, must be nice to have "alternate travel documents" in a pinch. The pilots arrested in South American for that midair collision spent some time in jail and were lucky to get out of there.

First Class seats, alternative travel documents? What is this? The Bourne Identity?

Also, must be nice to have "alternate travel documents" in a pinch. The pilots arrested in South American for that midair collision spent some time in jail and were lucky to get out of there.

First Class seats, alternative travel documents? What is this? The Bourne Identity?

JC... I hope you don't actually fly commercial aircraft for a living.

This is no different than the FED who takes the jumpseat for a "line check" during the peak travel seasons so that he can go visit his family in another state. Bumps all other jumpseaters. Guaranteed travel. Except this doesn't cost the airline revenue, it just bumps legitimate jumpseaters from getting to work.

121.581 Observer's seat: En route inspections.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, each certificate holder shall make available a seat on the flight deck of each airplane, used by it in air commerce, for occupancy by the Administrator while conducting en route inspections. The location and equipment of the seat, with respect to its suitability for use in conducting en route inspections, is determined by the Administrator.

Sounds legitimate to me......

Legitimate individual, yes. Legitimate purpose for taking jumpseat, no.

The jumpseat is required to be there under Part 25 (aircraft certification) and in the old CAR regulations for the "Use by the Administrator...". Part 135 and Part 121 also have the requirement.

Do you think if this requirement was not there the airlines would pay to have the seat installed and maintained just for your use to go to work? Highly unlikely that management cares.

Every Enroute Inspection must be pre approved by the Inspector's Supervisor - later audited and reviewed by HQ. When I go on vacation, I drive a car or buy a ticket.

Latest resources

Back