• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines in 5 years

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have to be happy in what your doing.

I can still say, its better than working for a living.

I have found out, that once your attitude goes, there is not that much that will change your outlook, and that goes for everything, not just a job.

Aviation, if it were easy, everyone would be in it.

I agree with all of the above...there has been a terrific erosion of airline pay and benefits over the last twenty-eight years that I've been part of the industry...my father was a TWA guy, and I'm too stupid for a real job.

It used to be that pilots were paid good salaries because there was some appreciation (in an economic sense) for the hazards implicit in aviation. I remember well into the 80's my father being unable to get life insurance because of the actuarial evidence.

Now, we are safe physically in the cockpit (at least some of us are) but there is no accounting for the facts economic hazards we fact industry-wide. Moreover, I know very few professional pilots who have acheived their level of professionalism without a few white-knuckle, search-for-clean-underwear events. Its all fun and games when you're getting a coffee from a pretty girl in a 767, but do you remember the reason you're there was the fact you survived a student spinning you out of 700 AGL and you managed through skill and luck to survive? Moreover, when you're furloughed out of your Airbus you don't get to carry your longevity to the next job. That in itself should demand risk premimum in our salaries. Lawyers and physicians, while highly skilled and educated, simply don't have to contend with these facts of life.

This is all a way of saying that we don't demand what we should. I consel anyone to avoid aviation, because while a few lucky souls might be a Citation X Capt at a Fractional or a Airbus FO, the vast majority of pilots will be stuck for the foreseeable future at low wage, benefitless jobs. The rest of are stuck here through a combination of inertia and the feeling we should get something from investment.

In the meanwhile, most of the large companies in this industry continue to be poorly run.

Aviation as a career? I hate to say it. It's over.

Can I have an AMEN

First things first---AHA!!!!!!

Gearupb-that avatar is fantastic, made my day

Points to Ponder

This goes out to all the young guns with the "gleam"
in their eye who are right now eating mac and cheese,
Ramen, and 4 for a dollar tuna in water...

All I ask, is that when you finally do get your dream shot
at flying the line, don't pay for a type, don't pay for training,
and WORK to make the job that you get (the state of the
profession) better than when you first got hired, that means
stay involved, stay informed, and don't work for less. Instead of the very typical mentality of , to heck with it, I'm out of here soon. OR the "I've got mine" attitude. Just remember, believe in yoreself (and my spelling), - what you do and what you know has worth and value, also remember that unless you work at one of the rare LCC's (low cost carriers) that treat the employess like humans, (and don't hink those places don't have there problems, look at pay and retirement issues there) management will always ALWAYS try to screw you. I don't care if there is some "rookie" out there who rejects this, I know at that stage I did too, wait a while boy, you WILL see. It's not a bad attitiude, it's called believing in oneself, and thinking that the hard knocks and hard landings we've all endured are worth something, and that it translates into safe operation and prudent judgment in regards to the operation of an aircraft. And those experiences, those skills, all translate into a very valuable commodity. One that is worth something.

On UNIONS

No union is perfect, as a matter of fact, there all VERY imperfect, BUT, it's all about those that volunteer, and if you don't like whats happening at your union work to change it. Don't bitch unless you do something constructive. It's all you got, we live in a world where

profits are always more important than people,

that's the way it is, so the "union" is all we got, management seeks to divide us, and conquer us. Never give in to this, well at least try, as for Woerth, well, the only answer is, and I open this up for debate, how do we "the line pilots" fix these problems?
ALPA has always ingested their youth, they always will until
that paradigm changes. So how can the tail wag the dog, how can the pilots change things for the good of the industry. This is where my limited intellect breaks down. This country bumpkin needs a little help----

IMHO it's gotta take a national seniority list, and an FAR, a new NPRM that says, no carrier may enter into 121 operations, without honoring that national seniority number---

And as long as we are discussing a "NSN" let's talk about the other heretical concept, what is the "MINIMUM" wage a pilot
should be paid?

Think about that?

What is the min that a 121 1900 FO should be paid?
Or mores pacifically, (wow my spelling/typing is really bad) let's break it down by aircraft SEAT, if the a.c. is full, how much should each of those PAX "chip in" to give the CPT and FO per hour to operate that aircraft? what? fo's a buck? capts two? Cpt's a buck "fitty" what should it be?

I say again..anyone anyone?

What do you think?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back