Airlines & Failed Checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tweetypie

What are the airlines views on busting checkrides ? Do they affect your employment opportunites or are they more interested in your experience and attitude ?

Thanks

Depends how many you've busted. 1, no problem, make sure you learned from it. 2, you got some 'splain' to do. 3, they're gonna see that there is a serious trend.

No worries, be happy

Hey there, the airlines understand that most people do fail a check ride. Its understandable, not everyone is on their best game all the time. Not to mention the strees that one is put under when they're taking a checkride. In an airline interview they'll ask, "Any failed check rides?" Best thing to do is, don't make excuses just say, "Yeah I did this wrong when I should have done this but it was such a great learning experience, I learned a lot about aviation that day and a lot about myself...." something to that effect :) Just because you're up against someone who hasn't failed a checkride doesn't mean you're not going to get the job, so don't worry about that at all. Best of luck, hope this helps you.

I failed the CFII and MEI checkrides. I was still offered a class date by Comair. For what it's worth, the subject didn't come up in my interview for my current charter job. Just be honest and explain what happened.

I failed my Private. Not once but twice!! (I know I was an idiot)

Anyway, I was hired by:

Continental Express
American Airlines
Delta Airlines

A few busts shouldn't mean all that much. The key thing is to learn from it and move on.

The key is.. when asked about it, simply be honest. And dont start blaming the examiner... I guy in my Xjet interview did that, the director of training was less than impressed.

Contrary to popular belief, the airlines aren't looking for all "saints". Many have busted one, two, and even three checkrides and have been able to get hired at the regionals and majors. A lucky few have even been hired with a previous DUI on their record although this if anything should be viewed as a more serious and show stopping event than that of a busted checkride. One busted ride certainly won't stop you from being able to obtain employment at the airlines, I have known many who were successful and many times the busted ride was never even discussed during the interview process. Just be able and ready to "justify" the bust, explain it, and most importantly that you learned from it and were able to move on and be successful after the experience. Don't make a habit out of it, I once flew with a first officer who busted his private, CFI, MEI, initial 135 sic ride, and upgrade ride with the fsdo, this would be no joy in trying to explain it during the interview process should this topic be brought up by the interview board. One busted ride, not a problem but multiple busted rides may raise a rather large red flag in the eyes of the interview board since they may question whether or not you can be successful in passing a 121 training program.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it at this point, it may or may not come up during the interview process. Just make certain that you don't try to hide this since it is noted in your airman file and you likely will be let go if you try and cover it up.

Washing out of a 121 or 135 training program is more serious which you want to avoid.

Last edited:
Dangerkitty said:
I failed my Private. Not once but twice!! (I know I was an idiot)

Anyway, I was hired by:

Continental Express
American Airlines
Delta Airlines

A few busts shouldn't mean all that much. The key thing is to learn from it and move on.

Awesome post DK. That's a great example of owning up to the issue, learning from it, and moving on. Especially since you made it to the 'show.' Thanks for the post.

Rook

For what it's worth, I busted my CFII checkride. The examiner was being sort of a d-bag, but I did mess up some stuff too.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back