Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=77917.blog

"Your airline seat may not have much padding, but the airline's schedule sure does." That's from Scott McCartney, The Middle Seat Columnist at The Wall Street Journal, who tackles the subject of schedule padding in his most-recent column. In his column, which runs under the headline "Why a six-hour flight now takes seven," McCartney writes: "Across the airline industry, carriers have been adding minutes to 'block times' — the scheduled durations —baking delays into trips so that late flights officially arrive 'on-time' and operations run better because flights pull into gates more often on schedule."

McCARTNEY'S FULL COLUMN: Why a six-hour flight now takes seven
McCartney writes that he examined "50 different domestic flights on nine major airlines, including some regional-jet partners, found scheduled flights times were 17 minutes, or 10%, longer in airline schedules for this March compared to March 1996 schedules. … Only five of the 50 flights examined had the same scheduled block time or less."

And even the broad flight cuts made during the recession apparently haven't diminished the practice, even though those cuts have reduced congestion at many airports. "Last year, most airlines added padding to scores of flights," McCartney writes.

So, why do airlines pad their schedules? McCartney says "for some airlines, longer scheduled times for flights reflects the reality of inefficiency in the nation's air travel system, which often can't handle the volume of planes without delay, especially when bad weather hits." For others, McCartney says it's simply a way to improve on-time ratings measured by the Department of Transportation, which counts a flight as "on-time" if it arrives at the gate within 15 minutes of its scheduled time.

Today's talker: Is padding schedules an acceptable practice? Some say "yes," since it accurately reflects how long a flight typically takes when weather, congestion and other factors are considered. Others say "no," arguing the goal instead should be making operations more efficient instead of adding time to schedules. What do you think? Share your thoughts.

If a flight can't be completed in an hour, but it can be completed in 1+10, add the time. No matter what a business tries to do to operate, someone will always find a reason to complain about it. The same thing applies to bus companies, trucking companies, anyone who operates on a schedule. Find something else to complain about....

When that *********************************** drives into NYC from Jersey, does he take into consideration the delays at the tunnels to figure out the door to door times or does he just assume he's going to be doing 70mph from his house to the office?

********************ing moron

When that *********************************** drives into NYC from Jersey, does he take into consideration the delays at the tunnels to figure out the door to door times or does he just assume he's going to be doing 70mph from his house to the office?

Excellent way to put it.

no dumbas$, he wants to know why in 2008 it took him 45 minutes and now in 2010 it somehow takes 60 minutes.

no dumbas$, he wants to know why in 2008 it took him 45 minutes and now in 2010 it somehow takes 60 minutes.

You mean March of '96 as compared to March of 2010.. 12 years different?

well that's pretty freakin easy.. more planes are flying.. airspace is more congested... more cars going in that tunnel, so to speak

airlines aren't padding their schedule.. they develop the block off historic block times.. they've been creeping up for years.. but padding? nope.. just takes longer... now if you want to answer the question of WHY, then that would be a worthy cause... the airlines aren't making the block longer just for ********************s n giggles, though...

Others say "no," arguing the goal instead should be making operations more efficient instead of adding time to schedules.
We can make it more efficient, we'll charge you $5000 per leg, you'll get there fast, but at a price. Whats that you say? You only want to pay $49? OK, then sit down, strap in, and shut the ...up.

When I am a passenger, I want to know when the airline expects to arrive, that's how I plan for a trip. A flight might take 4 hours in a perfect world, but that doesn't do crap for me, I live in the real world. It might take 6 hours to do that flight due to any number of possible circumstances.

Does anyone ever think the airlines "pad" the time to give real world arrival times. If a flight is going to take 6 hours, tell me it's going to take 6 hours. Don't tell me it's going to take 4 just because google says it should take 4.

When I am a passenger, I want to know when the airline expects to arrive, that's how I plan for a trip. A flight might take 4 hours in a perfect world, but that doesn't do crap for me, I live in the real world. It might take 6 hours to do that flight due to any number of possible circumstances.

Does anyone ever think the airlines "pad" the time to give real world arrival times. If a flight is going to take 6 hours, tell me it's going to take 6 hours. Don't tell me it's going to take 4 just because google says it should take 4.

Exactly

Latest resources

Back