Airlines Back In Gear...?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I was just reading some of the posts in the Regional Airlines forum. It seems as if most of the regionals (except CoEx and Eagle) have begun calling their furloughies back or atleast announcing when they will (most w/in the next 2 months). Also, many have begun hiring again. Though I will not be looking for a job for a few years, it makes me happy to see things appear to get back on track. Despite the fact, as mentioned, that I want be looking for a job for a few years, it still worries me when pilots begin losing jobs and the industry turns upside down, as I guess most young, training pilots do. I have been optimistic that things will turn around, and it seems as if they are. However, for those of you who like to pull out your crystal balls ... where do you see the airlines, specifically the regionals within the next, say 3 to 5 years?

I'd put my money on AE being the last "regional" to recall all pilots.

Although I've heard many furloughees would rather do anything else other than return to Eagle if recalled (ok, FlyinBrian excepted)

Re: Who will be the last....

Batman said:
Which regional will be the last to begin calling back their pilots--COEX or AE? Theoretically, AE should win by a long shot, but my money is on COEX. AMR will probably outsource all of AE's flying before any pilots have a chance of being called back.

Anyone care to make a wager??? :D

That would be money well spent. Look for recalls in October, hiring in mid to late Feb!:)

Last edited:
The airlines will turn around when the economy turns around. Your guess is as good as mine. If I knew the answer to that, I could make a lot more money doing something else! :rolleyes:

economy

Progress at the overall level of our economy could lead to a stagnent regional airline business.

The regionals have done well filling in on routes that will be taken back at the first sign of the ability to fill seats of a larger aircraft .

If majors come back, regionals could slow down

Re: economy

publisher said:
Progress at the overall level of our economy could lead to a stagnent regional airline business.

The regionals have done well filling in on routes that will be taken back at the first sign of the ability to fill seats of a larger aircraft .

If majors come back, regionals could slow down

For the short term yes...but when the majors start to grow again, they hire pilots from the regionals and the lines start to move again. No matter where you're at in this process, if you're a CFI or if you're at the majors, a good economy is good for everybody. :)

Not to be negative, but not all regionals are calling people back. In fact some are still furloughing. The three USair WO's.

Well, your answer is USAir..........if the company (regional) is aligned with a company struggling (by the way, what is the latest with USAir)....then that regional is going to also have some tough times.....

Otto

You are right Otto,

It is pretty much going to be a matter of timing. There may be a period of stagnation where regional expansion stops and mainline is gearing back up with existing equipment and personnel.

Additonally, somethings depend on what happens at United and USAirways over the next year or two.

Latest resources

Back