• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline workers want pay, benefits restored

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
None of this matters. Next year when the Great Economic Collapse happens, you'll be riding your bike to the communal vegetable garden.

One guy even recommends stocking up on the "airline size" bottles of booze. Apparently, they're great for the barter economy that will spring up.

Nu

That doesn't mean he's wrong. I agree with him.

Then maybe you can go to work for him....He's got all the answers, and is willing to screw whoever, including you, his fan club, to keep your wages down.

Maybe I could. I've applied at least once. I have a minimum annual $$ amount I'll work for, though. I don't know if they can meet it.

None of this matters. Next year when the Great Economic Collapse happens, you'll be riding your bike to the communal vegetable garden.

One guy even recommends stocking up on the "airline size" bottles of booze. Apparently, they're great for the barter economy that will spring up.

Nu
Imagine that NuGuy former NWA ****************************** is betting on a complete collapse of our world. Get back to watching Glenn Beck you fragging tool.

Maybe I could. I've applied at least once. I have a minimum annual $$ amount I'll work for, though. I don't know if they can meet it.

I'll bet you pilotyip's salary (which isn't much, btw) you can't afford to go to work there.
And if you meet him, tell him to stop being such a jackhole!:)

Imagine that NuGuy former NWA ****************************** is betting on a complete collapse of our world. Get back to watching Glenn Beck you fragging tool.

Um, wut? I couldn't quite make out what you said. You're coming in stupid.

Nu

right now people are changing flights for a $1 difference in fares, the airline survuve on the 1.5 seats sold 45 days in advance for $99. The marginal flyer is very elastic, everyone who has tried to raise prices has had to back down almost immediately

I think it is the intense competition and not the "marginal flyer" determining the fares. The internet lists fares by price. If an airline charges $1 more it moves their ticket option several slots down. If other airlines will not match a price increase, then the increase fails and the fare stays low. That is the game. Many airlines protect turf this way. I believe the passenger will pay $5 or even $20 more if that is the lowest price offered for the trip. Just look at ticket prices where competition is low. People still fly.

When I was young I had a job in concessions at an IMAX theater. We got a new "college educated" manager who immediately raised the price on candy bars from $1 to $2. Said he would only have to sell half as many to make the same amount of money. He sold almost the same amount and we made much more money. He had no competition. If he had competition, he may have been selling candy bars to people for $.50 that would have been willing to pay $2.00! I think as long as the price increases are not super excessive, the customer will pay them. The problem is too much competition for too few customers. A buyers market for airline tickets in many markets!

When I was young I had a job in concessions at an IMAX theater. We got a new "college educated" manager who immediately raised the price on candy bars from $1 to $2. Said he would only have to sell half as many to make the same amount of money. He sold almost the same amount and we made much more money. He had no competition. If he had competition, he may have been selling candy bars to people for $.50 that would have been willing to pay $2.00! I think as long as the price increases are not super excessive, the customer will pay them. The problem is too much competition for too few customers. A buyers market for airline tickets in many markets!
But the movie theater down the street who continued to sell candy bars at $1 saw its load factor go up after the word spread around about the higher candy bar prices at your Imax. For those who say the consumers won't change because of price, why is it loads free fall drop ever time a price increase has been announced? example in May of 09 SWA doubled their advance purchase ticket prices, sales dropped off the scale within two weeks prices had returned to normal. BTW I have nothing against an airline pilot making $500K/yr, you just have to find an econ structure that will support it.

Then maybe you can go to work for him....He's got all the answers, and is willing to screw whoever, including you, his fan club, to keep your wages down.
actually JUS starting pay for a DC-9 F/O at $37/ky is higher than Delta, American, CAL, USAirways, and all of the regionals,

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back