Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Training..... What routes the best?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I realize that there will be times I don't care for. I know there will be early days, long flights, time away from home, and all the rest of the crap that goes with the lifestyle. I'm sure I'll have mood swings. I'm sure there will be days that I don't much care for. I understand all this... Regardless though - I'll never badmouth the lifestyle nomatter where it takes me. I'll never regret my decisions. I'll make each day count. I'll do the best I can. If at some point I snap! - then I can be called hippocritical. Until that moment though, I'll continue on with a smile, guns in the air, lovin' it all the way! I may be a fool. But I've got something to believe in, and I won't doubt it until it lets me down.

ok, maybe not guns in the air...

meyers9163 said:
I have no time and no ratings and have been looking into a variety of options. Such as academys and doing my own training at a local air port while finishing up my college degree since I only have 2 years left on it. What would any of you recommend doing as far as a training and programs .

Don't make any decisions about any major programs until you have done some flight training at your local airport. Go get about 10-15 hours and solo before you decide you really wanna do this. In the process of training, you can learn about different programs to advance to a career, but everybody has to start out at learning to solo. Go do it.

nosehair said:
Don't make any decisions about any major programs until you have done some flight training at your local airport. Go get about 10-15 hours and solo before you decide you really wanna do this. In the process of training, you can learn about different programs to advance to a career, but everybody has to start out at learning to solo. Go do it.

I totally agree... When I started flying, it turned out to be nothing like what I always thought it would be. I still loved it, and enjoy it, but it's definately not what I expected. nosehair nailed it!

hmmurdock said:
Greetings..

What route is best? Lets see, how about keeping your current profession or job. Have you looked at a paper recently or watched the news?.. The airline industry is not a good place to be right now and I dont reccommend it to anyone. Your first year pay at a regional will be around 19K or so first year. You will make less than 30K for the next couple of years or so. Anyway, upgrade time to captain will be at least 4 years. Not to mention you said you are starting from scratch. It will take you at least 2 years or so to get the regional job to begin with. If you have to do it, do not go to DCA or GA. Also it would be best not to borrow 50 to 75 K to go to these schools in the first place. You will be in debt FOREVER paying off these f-ing loans. If you have PLENTY of cash then it doesnt matter. Good luck on your decision.

Take care

This is the truth. My current job is dropping millions of sterile fruit flies out of converted airplanes over Southern California. When it gets hot, the flies get active and sometimes they start swarming into the cockpit, get in your eyes, or your hair. When I dreamed of becoming a pilot, I didn't dream I would ever being doing this. Now, I like my job and all, but this industry is all about "paying your dues" and "networking". If you can stand the low pay and don't saddle yourself with a ton of loans (which you will do if you go to anyone of those schools you mentioned above), then you might be able to gut it out. But you're certainly going to want to have friends in the industry who can help your career along by walking in a resume to a Chief Pilot at some point in the future. And God help you if you're married and/or have children. Especially little ones. You'll never see them.

Airline Pilots

Since 9/11, ov er 20,000 pilots have been furoughed from the airlines. And the bloodletting is far from over. Add to that lost pension funds, lost benefits and the high alcoholism/divorce percentage, this is a bad choice on your part.

Do not bad mouth PFT. Professional Flight Training at KFXE (954-938-3043) is an outstanding flight school.

Before you take out that $40,000 loan to get most of your ratings (remember you need 1200 hours for ATP), look at the starting salaries at the regionals (the only place you may get an "airline interview," usually in the high teens to low 20s to start.

Also get your medical certificate before getting too serious ... I've been working on my private for 9 years now (including a 7 year break in the middle for college and grad school) because the FAA$%holes have take my med twice ... and I'm 24 and perfectly healthy. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** red tape.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back