Airline resume

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Obi-Wan

I was wondering if I should include the time I recieved on a sim in my total Turbine time and multi time. The instructors at my last job said since its a level C sim, I could do it. What do you guys think.

There is probably nothing wrong with it, but I don't even list any sim time on my resume. Assuming you only have the sim time you recieved while training for you Embraer job, it probably isn't enough to be considered significant. You might want to say something like "recieved FAR Part 121 aircraft training at Flight Safety International in a EMB-145 level C sim" on your cover letter, or add a separate column under your TT break down on your resume, if you want. Just my opinion, good luck.

Definitely not! Here’s a repost from the old board on logging sim time – the same ideas would apply to your resume, of course; and anyway, you certainly wouldn’t want to have time on your resume that is not in your logbook. Of course you can mention your experience in a level C or D simulator elsewhere in your resume, but it should not be in your times, unless you make a separate “sim” category. Besides, it shouldn’t add up to a significant amount of flight time anyway, and in any case it won’t mean much to an interviewer unless it’s been validated by getting a good amount of time in the actual plane anyway.

BTW, your previous instructors are definitely wrong – sim time is absolutely not “multi” or “turbine” – it’s just sim time (If anything, it would electric? hydraulic?). I’ve included a (lengthy) excerpt at the end of the post from the FAA – they are very specific on that issue. Here’s the repost – sorry about the length:

1 – Sim time is not flight time - regardless of the level of the sim. While higher-level sims allow you to meet specific FAA requirements, it’s still not flying. I’m going to paste an excerpt from the FAA FAQ site below, but the short answer is that the FAA doesn’t consider it flight time, though you can use it under specific circumstances to meet ratings requirements.

2 – You have to ask yourself exactly who it is you’re trying to impress, which isn’t the wise-ass question it sounds like – I’m talking about interviewers, of course. The FAA is specific on when you can use sim time towards meeting their requirements, so the only other thing to be gained from counting sim time is to raise your times for job interviews. But like other posters have said, it doesn’t add much to your total, and interviewers assume that you have some sim time appropriate to your level of experience anyway. A few airlines do ask for your sim time; American, for example, combines it with your student time, so you can see where it really doesn’t carry much weight anyway. And the one thing you don’t want to do is to sit in an interview that had been going well and then get stuck trying to explain something “shaky”. Even if you think you can prove your point, you’ve already lost the job. I said this in another post a week or so ago, but it’s still a good point – you don’t want your logbook or your resume to blow the interview for you.

Oh, and there is definitely NO SIC in a sim – you’re not a required crewmember, after all, if it’s not even an aircraft.

This excerpt is from the FAA FAQ site and is written by the same people who write the rules, so this is (usually) the final answer, unless their legal folks get involved. It’s a little bit (OK, a lot) long, but the answer you’re looking for is in the third paragraph – I’ve added the bold highlights there - the rest are the FAA's:

QUESTION: Don't have a specific example, but can you give me the low down on how flight simulator and flight training device time can be logged (flight time, pic, sic, night, x-c, etc.) in a persons log book.

ANSWER: Ref. §61.51(b)(1)(iv), (b)(3)(iii), (g)(4), and (h)(1) and §61.51(a)(1) and (2);
But keep in mind the requirements for logging time is only required for the purposes stated in §61.51(a)(1) and (2). As per §61.51(a)(1) and (2), it states:

(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.

(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part.

I also direct you to the definition of “flight training” as per §61.1(b)(6) which states: “Flight training means that training, other than ground training, received from an authorized instructor in flight in an aircraft.” Emphasis added “in flight in an aircraft.” And furthermore, §61.51(h)(1) addresses logging of training time as “A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.”

However, time in a flight simulator or flight training device CANNOT be logged as “flight time” or as “PIC time” or as “SIC time” or as “night time” or as “daytime” or as “cross country time” or as time in an “aircraft category, class, or type.” Time in a flight simulator or flight training device can only be logged in the columns noted as “Flight Simulator or Flight Training Device” time and “Dual Received” time. And in most logbooks, the person has to write in the notation “FS/FTD” as a heading on one of the extra columns. And in some logbooks they do have a column noted as “Synthetic Trainer.”

Now, where the FARs specifically permit it [i.e., §61.57(c)(1) and (d)(1)(ii), §61.58(e), §61.65(e), §61.109(i), §61.129(i), §61.157(i), §61.187(c)(2), etc.], time in a flight simulator or flight training device can be credited in lieu of the required flight time towards meeting the total aeronautical experience or recency of experience, but it CANNOT be logged as flight time. For example, an ATP applicant with 1,475 hours total time as a pilot in aircraft that includes at least 500 hours cross-country and 100 hours night, but only 50 hours instrument flight time would meet minimum aeronautical experience using 25 hours instrument training in a flight simulator or flight training device (FTD) in accordance with §61.156(a)(3)(iii). Though the 25 hours in the sim/FTD can not logged as flight time, it may be used in lieu of flight time for the minimum aeronautical experience requirement of 1,500 hours total time. But, only because it is allowed under §61.156(a)(3)(iii).

Now, the way it would be interpreted and should be logged on the FAA Form 8710-1 application is to list the time in the “Instruction Received” and “Instrument” columns and in the line for “Training Device” or “Simulator” in the appropriate boxes. When the time is computed to insure the applicant meets the appropriate aeronautical experience requirements for the airman certificate and rating sought, the time listed in the “Instruction Received” column and “Training Device” or “Simulator” boxes, as appropriate, would be accepted in lieu of the required flight time experience required to the limit allowed, as in the example above.
{q&a-320}

Sim time v. Total time

I second "jetpup." Flight time is that time accumulated while in an aircraft. Sim time is that time accumulated in any kind of simulator or ground training device. It is not part of your total time. List it separately on your resume.

I'm guessing your sim time is probably low right now (less than 100 hours) so I wouldn't waste your time with it. If you build a significant amount later I don't think it would hurt to list it and it could help. I do have sim time listed on my resume as a separate entry but it is not included in any other totals. I never had any negative comments about it.

Good luck and if you are looking for that military slot your experience so far should help out.

-Mike

Latest resources

Back