Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Opie-

Lots of great stuff in your post!

Only an idiot would consider you or anyone who serves a quitter regardless of when you separate/retire.

You have made a difference in many peoples lives. That is what makes our AF so great...we take care of each other.

I'm not wearing rose colored glasses. I know we've promoted peckerheads BTZ and had poor leaders. But from where I sit, it just keeps getting better not worse. Where is McPeaks wonderboy today?? Or that clueless Lakenheath Wing/cc??

BTW, the Heath wing/CC I worked for was an ALO in Desert Storm and is one S.H. leader. And I am glad to hear Shiv is doin great. There are more...and like you I hope they continue to hang around to make things better...promote the right dudes and put warriors in leadership positions

No, I did not take the geezer bonus.

PM me with your desert info...I may well see you there.

Finally, I'm betting stop loss will be gone by the end of Sept (once the reserve call up expires...kind of hard to lift it until then)

Kingwood

Thank you

Kingwood,
Thank you for being a good egg.

May God Bless you and your family. May you continue to mold the Fighter pilots of the future.

I truely hope to see you and work for you in the Desert. It would be a pleasure and an Honor.

I try to talk guys into staying when there is a chance they have not made up thier minds already. But when they have made up thier minds, I want them to understand why they are getting out. I have seen way too many people stay in or get out for the wrong reasons. I wish everyone would video tape themselves telling why they decided to do what they did. That way they can remind themselves every now and then.

Thank-you for your service to this nation.

Opie-

After 20 years of your family being third on that list, it's definitely time to move them up a notch. They surely deserve it.

Good luck and God bless.

OPIE01,
I went through a lot of similiar feelings last year. Was hired by AA, retired from the Air Force/Army after 22 1/2 years in August and was looking forward to spending September with the family before starting training in October. Well that obviously didn't happen.

When I informed my boss about my retirement papers he told me, " I won't retire until I'm useless on the outside." Hey different strokes etc. but I also had my family at the bottom of the priorties list and chose to be with them instead of hearing about all the things I had missed.

My current life is not anything like I had predicted. Unfortunately I'm gone now more than I was before, probably the same if I'd stayed in. The difference is I have the power to say "NO!" We all have to make sacrifices, especially in aviation, but at what costs? Think of the three generations of americans that have never been in the service. We have all given a tremendous thing to this country, ourselves, our talent, and our youth.

Life is too short as it is. Do what brings you happiness and brings you closer to those you care about.

Opie,

God Bless you sir!

It seems the USAF misssed yet another chance to promote a real leader.

Trust me on this one... you will be missed by those you leave behind. But more importantly, you have demonstrated true leadership through your actions and not your words... and that makes all the difference!

Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime.

Best Wishes to you and your family!

Latest resources

Back