Airline Pilot Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C-152CAPT

I'm a student at an aeronautical university and I have to interview a major airline pilot for a class paper. I thought there are plenty of pilot on this site, so if you could briefly answer these questions it would be a big help!
1. Why did you choose to be a pilot?
2. How long did it take you to get to the major airlines?
3. Is it what you expected when you first started?
4. How did Sept. 11, 2001 affect you?
5. What words of wisdom would you give a young pilot starting out in the industry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
1. I chose to be an airline pilot because I am very intrigued in travel and flying. As a child my sister and I would fly by ourselves from SFO to MIA once a year and thought that being an airline pilot was pretty cool.

2. From my first lesson in a C-152 to FO at a major took 15 years.

3. It is not what I had expected. I thought I would be at a Major in 5-7 years, captain 7 years later and travelling around the world with beautiful easy flight attendants. At present it took me a lot longer, I am not flying internationally, and the FA are beautiful but only after a few drinks.

4. Sept 11 made me realize that life is pretty good.

5. Never look down on anyone they might be the person to get you to the majors. You never know the grocery clerk might just happen to golf with the Dir of Ops of a major. Get a college degree in something outside aviation. The degree itself mean absolutely nothing. This way when you are at a party and the coversation does not involve aviation, you might be able to participate. Unless you are planning on managing an airport dont bother with airport management. Never turn down a flying job unless you already have a better one.

1) For me, it was a way of spending time with my father. After the Korean War, he joined the FAA in the ATC world. I realized I had a little talent and a great deal of passion for aviation at the ripe old age of 12. I used to sit on telephone books in a T34 and fly instrument approaches long before I learned to fly by looking out the window.

2) My first lesson was when I was 7. Assuming your question meant to start the clock after solo; it took me 17 years 4 months 3 days (in round figures).

3) Having served in the FAR 121 world for 12+ years, it's exactly what I expected. I work for an airline, that above all I respect. As such I give 110% each day to make our airline the best it can be.

4) I echo the sentiments on education. Beyond the obvious broadending of one's personality and experiences, it offers both to the pilot and employer a skill set that is often times just as useful as flying.

Never ... ever marginalize anyone. Everyone has an importance in this world and to think otherwise is arrogant and often times will come back to bite you in the posterior.

Never ... ever put your safety or your paxs second to your career aspirations. If you live to mull over your faulty decisions, you will realize how short sighted bad decisions are.

Never ... ever be talked into trying to outsmart the FAA. Aviation is a small community and if you develop a reputation for being a aviation sociopath, it will stick with you like superglue.

Listen to old pilots ... often times there is a reason why they are old (read ... they had excellent judgement or they were luckier than hell).

Be honest !

Study for every oral / checkride like your life depended on it.

Have fun ... I can't stress this enough. We live in a very different world post 9/11. Going to work has become a chore. Don't bring your frustrations to the flight deck.

Last edited:
1. I love the whole thing about flying.

2. 14 years to a major.

3. Being an airline pilot was fun while it lasted. I never got out of training, so I never experienced airline life. The part I did experience was about what I expected.

4. I lost my job.

5. Diversify. Like the others said, get educated in another subject matter. Having an aviation degree doesn't do squat for a flying career. Too many pilots have one skill, flying, and when the industry turns sour, they don't have anything to fall back on. Having gone the military route to the majors, I've biased in that direction. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go Air Force guard or reserve, rather than active duty.

1. I have always loved airplanes. When I was 6, my family moved from Boston to Texas. While waiting at the gate in Boston, I met the Captain & he gave me some lifesavers. He gave me a tour of the cockpit & announced my name on the PA. After that, I never thought about doing anything but flying airplanes.

2. I started flying in High School & got my Private on my 17th birthday. From my first flight, it took about 12 years. That includes 2 years of flight instructing & 5 1/2 years of flying on demand part 135 cargo.

3. It is everything I expected it to be. I love the time off. However, as I get older, the time away from my family is harder to cope with. Knowing that though, I wouldn't change a thing.

4. I've spent a lot longer with junior seniority than I thought I would, but I am thankfull to have a job.

5. If you are a civilian, you too can survive on Raman Noodles and $600 a month while flight instructing. There were months when I had to pay my rent on a credit card! I also paid for the MEI on a credit card. It all worked out in the end.

1. As a child, my dad had a 172 and was building an experimental. I grew up at the airport. In Jr High, an airline pilot spoke at career day -- I could not believe what I was hearing. Money for flying? How were they keeping this a secret?!

2. 21 years in the USAF. Interviewed/hired the month I retired.

3. Everything I expected and much, much more. To my surprise, though most folks seem happy, there are more dissatisfied people than I anticipated. I don't understand what they were hoping for.

4. Sept 11 only served to make me more aware of evil.

5. Words of wisdom:
Live a life that honors God first -- He will bless you.
Live secondly for your spouse and kids -- this will bring you lasting happiness.
Pursue your passion, but cultivate realistic backup options you can be happy with (do not put all your eggs in one basket).
Network. Don't burn bridges. You can never have too many friends.
Avoid negative people -- they will rob your joy.
Dream.
Baby steps in the right direction beat being a spectator.

1. When I was four I flew on TWA to MCI where my uncle then let me "fly" the rest of that trip in his 172. I was hooked.

2. From first solo to major airline job was 10 years.

3. It has been what I expected. I've also had the opportunity to serve at the Training Center and in a couple of flight management jobs. Each time I drive to the airport I thank God for the opportunity to fly airplanes.

4. I will be furloughed in January 2003; however, I began to prepare for this possibility on 9/11.

5. PurpleHaze said it best!!

md8pilot

Latest resources

Back