Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: airline Industry

highflying said:
Lets say that UAL goes under and AA lays off more. What do these pilots do? Would these pilots go back to being a first officer at a regional? I mean JB and SWA cant hire all of the pilots on the street?

Well I would say that a fair amount will get out of flying all together, some will get hired at Jetblue, AirTran, ATA, SWA.... Some will go to the Regionals...

One of the things is at the airlines, everything is based on seniority... so even if you were a 767 Capt. with 15,000 hours and you end up at a regional as a new hire, you are sitting right seat on their most junior aircraft... starting over at the bottom once again, with first year pay, etc... This is the downside to a seniority based system.

You are right, the LCC's and Regionals will not be able to absorb all of these pilots, not even close... This is a very difficult industry, the good times are very good and the bad times are very bad...

I still want to fly for an airline. I was hired by regional but at the last minute the class was cancelled a few months ago. I really don't think I ever have the desire to get on with a major (being Delta, AA, UAL if they survive) just because of the seniority thing. I know enough people who were regional captains making an honest living and went to the majors in the late 90's or early 00-01. They gave up the seniority to move on to at the time a better place. No one knew that any of this would happen even though statistically the start of a new decade for the past 3 or so have been in recessions. The late 90's were great times for everything. Dot coms, airlines, stocks whatever. We all know that those great times have to end sometime. Everything goes in cycles but I will agree with everyone else that when things do get better all around, the airlines will still be different and there may be couple less around. I also agree that the days of flying a 777 making 300K are over. The days of flying a 70 seater topping out at 120K are probably not. I have never made close to that and don't know what it is like yet to live comfortably. I got in to flying because it is something I loved and still do. My priorities are different now than they were 4 or 5 years ago. I am now looking to get on with a regional that is solid (even that may be hard to find with any of them) and build up seniority within the company. I would be satisfied now flying an RJ for my career. I have no problem with the thought of not making 200-300K a year. That is a lot of money, but to me even 50K sounds good right now. The industry is strange and right now it is about rock bottom, but I do think many will do other things too. I have thought about it myself, but I haven't been in this industry long enough and still have some youth left to give it a shot.

Captbuzzard,

well said!

Guys like me who will be ready to fly in 4-5 years might end up flying RJ's for a career, or for a LLC.

Still have that lerking to fly that heavy metal though - I think thats natural! :)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned thus far, as to the difference between the early 90's and now, is the emergence of the internet and web sites like this one, where you can instantly get the latest on everything aviation. I can imagine that networking and getting the scoop on the industry during the last recession was a lot more difficult. Shoot, now, you learn instantly when (to use a recent example) Skywest cancels a class date. A dozen years ago, you'd still be wondering to yourself, "Now why don't they call!" Information is power!

True, thankfully there is the info out there. People are finding out that their training classes are cancelled before they get their call. Sometimes they are just nasty rumors, but if it ends up being true, they can sort of prepare for the news. I found out through a friend at the airline that cancelled my class two days before they called me. I was sick to my stomach, and of course didn't want to believe it, but sure enough I got the call a couple of days later. I think for the most part this message board is very good. Of course their are going to be some of the negative people and troublemakers but I look at this site more than the other few out there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back