Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: reality check

sentry said:

Half the people in the majors, the only reason they got the job is because they flew in the squardron of the main man,

One quarter are daddy's boy's who retired at that airline,

One third the only reason they got hired is because they are a minority of some sort so that leaves only a dozen slots left over...

What??? -- 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/3 = 1 1/12. How can total hiring be more than 100%?? Math - good!

I don't agree. Most of the people flying for the airlines have earned their jobs through hard work and persistence. Granted, connections help but you won't get hired without meeting the qualifications.

Last edited:
sorry to be such a realist but....how great a job they have !!!

I don't mean to level some criticism...but sentry, who laid a steamer in your wheaties? :eek:

Sure, knowing someone in the industry certainly helps, but I didn't know anyone at FedEx (until after I got there). And as for timing and hiring...I can remember right after pilot training, early 90s when they were banking 60% of the classes to non-flying jobs. It was even money that I wouldn't ever fly again because of the excess pilots the USAF had. I certainly managed to do okay...but I didn't my circumstances dictate terms.

As far as the seniority thing goes...the retirement curve is continuing to steepen, so even if the economy doesn't expand at the late 90s rate, the need for qualified pilots will continue to increase.

Bottom line, if you want fly for an airline, and it's right for you, go for it! If not, that's cool too... No matter what, if you are turning into a pissed off, bitter, angry person with nothing but regrets, you probably need a change... None for me thanks, I'm having way too much fun!

Just happy to be here!

FastCargo

I'll forward your wise and insightful thesis to every FedEx pilot in front of me. When they see how much it s*cks to work 12-18 days per month and make six figures...I'm sure they will all quit and I'll jump right up in seniority ASAP. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, feel free to vent your misery all you want on the boards. Maybe you can convince some fence sitters to leave so the rest of us can either get a flying job or move up the seniority list.

If you want to be happy in life, be happy. Flying is a great profession, and wonderful hobby, and an interesting way to make a buck. Happiness, however, doesn't come from a job.

Latest resources

Back