• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Apps Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it was an FAA oral and practical checkride with ATP standards.

BUT, you did not do all the manuevers that are required for a PIC type rating. I bet you didn't do a flap 0 landing in the crj, I also bet their are several other things waived as you were not applying for the PIC typ rating.

Hence I would not check the "typed" in this aircraft.

You are getting some crappy advise from idiots trying to buck the system. These same people got away with pencile whipping their log books to get on with a regional.

Look at it this way. SWA wants you to have a TYPE rating in the 737 before starting. Why don't you save yourself some money and get a SIC type rating in the 737 and apply to them, I"M SURE THEY WOULD HIRE YOU WITH A SIC TYPE...AFTER ALL THEY ONLY WANT YOU TO BE TYPED IN the 737.

See the problem...it's intent. When an airline wants to know if your "typed" in the aircraft they are looking for PIC, otherwise Southwest would double thir available applicant pool.

Please don't make a fool out of yourself in an interview...

Hey ridgeback..while I see your point of view-minus the snide remark about pencil whipping a logbook-all I can say is look at the license. The SIC type looks the same as a PIC type on the license. I agree that it's not a PIC type and you don't go through all the same requirements as PIC and it's not hardly worth the plastic it's written on, but it is a type rating. Since this is an ICAO thing maybe we should get some advice from some ICAO rated folks.

Is it really that complicated?

Question: Do you hold a type rating? Yes or No.

Very simple. Should CRJ guys who have a PIC type put "no" because they have a restriction that says "CIRC. APRC. - VMC ONLY"?

If airlineapps wants to know if you have a PIC type, they can change the question. The law has been in affect for over a year. I'm sure the issue has come up.

Ridge I know what you're saying, its not MY intent to beat the system. You know what I'm asking and its as simply that. Maybe airline apps needs an update. The term "Type" has become a form of technical jargon and we, as well as "Southwest" and apparently Airline Apps, have been guilty using it that way. In the same sense, the FAA has to share the blame because they call it a "Type Rating with SIC Privelages". Somewhere along the line the name needs to be changed, or applications/airlines need to update thier terms.

Ridge I know what you're saying, its not MY intent to beat the system. You know what I'm asking and its as simply that. Maybe airline apps needs an update. The term "Type" has become a form of technical jargon and we, as well as "Southwest" and apparently Airline Apps, have been guilty using it that way. In the same sense, the FAA has to share the blame because they call it a "Type Rating with SIC Privelages". Somewhere along the line the name needs to be changed, or applications/airlines need to update thier terms.

Stop over thinking. It's not a quality that airlines like to hire.

I look at it this way, before this SIC thing went into affect airapps and airline app forms asked if you held a type rating in ______ aircraft. Before the SIC type rating it was a no brainer, if you were a captain yes, fo, no.

Now along comes the SIC type rating. I'm sure we would all agree that airlines are slow to change. Hence we have to be smart enough to know that. An SIC type is worthless in the eyes of airlines, after all someone just said it's an ICOA thing. Every FO in this country has an SIC type. Can you honestly answer yes that you believe that Airline _____ wants to know if you have an SIC type. How are they to filter between those those that have a PIC type and those that don't. Afterall they are interested in PIC time, type, ect.

Why don't you just call the HR dept at airline ___________ and get an answer. I for one would love to hear the answer.

The SIC type rating is a way to get around the ICAO requirement that both pilots be typed in the aircraft. In Europe both pilots have a PIC type rating. THis is just a paperwork exercise designed to save the airlines money and still comply.

Your SIC type rating is a paperwork shuffle. THat's all.

Right from the source.......

Thanks for your question: "Would someone with a SIC type rating check the box that says typed in this aircraft?" The answer is "YES" someone would and many have however, this system was built prior to the SIC type ratings being issued by the FAA. Technically you do have the "type rating" in the aircraft (SIC privileges only) and it is listed on your certificate therefore it is OK to check this box. It is also OK if you don't check this box for "SIC only type ratings" since this was intended to allow the employers see if you were typed (unrestricted) in the aircraft.

I'm not sure if I helped you answer the question but you should know that we are working on an improvement to the application which will make it more clear. This will take some more time since we have to get all of our companies to agree on the best solution.

Thank you for taking the time to ask the question.

Sincerely,
Plato Rhyne, President
Airline Apps, Inc.

pilots are dorks...who cares what you check.

By the way, my FO airline checks where always the exact same as the captains so really it is the same check ride. If they are not at some airlines then they should be.

Latest resources

Back