• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline 101

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Watch your neighbors come home nice and warm with their family at 6pm while you're holding somewhere over JFK in icing looking at your limited options and where you went wrong in life.

This is the fun part of flying! What's a matter, you don't like a challenge?

12. Never vote for your own pay to be cut.

13. Lose the hat - you look like a clown.

##. Wear the hat - you decided to be an airline pilot, might as well look the part and take some pride in yourself.

PS. We don't want to lose the hat on the account that you hit ugly branches on the way down and the hat makes you look worse.

Last edited:
Pilots stripped of hats on HK's 2nd largest airline

Sunday, November 2, 2008

HONG KONG -- Pilots on Hong Kong's second biggest airline have been stripped of their captain's hats in a move some cockpit crew Saturday warned might strip them of their professional prestige.
Other pilots at Dragonair, however, said they were delighted at not having the wear the peaked hats.
Dragonair, which has 400 pilots and flies to cities across China and Asia, sent out a memo at the end of October instructing pilots to hand in their hats which would no longer be part of their uniform.
The airline indicated it was following a global trend for hatless pilots and said it came after regular consultations with crew which indicated the head gear was no longer wanted.
One senior Dragonair pilot told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa: "Most of us are happy about it -- but there are some who are worried it will give us less presence.
"The majority of airlines nowadays don't make their pilots wear hats. Even before this decision, only the pilots who wanted to be seen to be doing the right thing wore them."
Other pilots agreed, with one saying: "The hats are nothing but a joke and a leftover from the air force days."
But some pilots fear that seeing cockpit crew without hats will have an effect on passenger confidence and make it harder for captains to command the respect of cabin crew and ground crew.
A debate is raging on a Hong Kong-based online forum for pilots with one writing: "Several studies over the years have suggested that airline crew in a hat give out more confidence to the travelling public.
A spokeswoman for Dragonair denied that pilots' hats had been given the chop to save money even though each hat costs an estimated US$65 to supply.
A spokeswoman for Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong's biggest airline, said it had no plans to follow Dragonair's example lead and remove the hats from its pilots.
Copyright © 2008 The China Post.Back to Story

Last edited:
Watch your neighbors come home nice and warm with their family at 6pm while you're holding somewhere over JFK in icing looking at your limited options and where you went wrong in life.

Yeah ok. I was gone exactly six days in October, seven in September.

I don't know what number we're up to, but anyway:

"believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

This is the fun part of flying! What's a matter, you don't like a challenge?

Exactly. Holding in ice is one of those times when I count my blessings that I don't have one of those boring "normal" jobs! Approaches down to mins do that for me as well.

The other night, low wx, non-radar environment. DME arc transition (flown via heading bug, not FMS) to an ILS down to near mins in icing conditions, 4th leg of 5 that day, 9th hour of 11 on duty, day 4 of a 4 day trip... Had the time of my life. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Greased the landing too.

-Goose

Dont get an apartment your first year...thats crash pad time. Also its the most likely time you'll get furloughed and owe a (dou*he) landlord four months rent because you lost your job and cant stay.

Latest resources

Back