• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline 101

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
14. Each morning on rsv grab coffee, sit in driveway and watch your neighbors go to work.

I would like to go out in the morning with a beer in hand watching everyone go to work... much more fun.

As long as its a hard day off of course

I would like to go out in the morning with a beer in hand watching everyone go to work... much more fun.

As long as its a hard day off of course

I usually wait til after lunch...I have kids...

Watch your neighbors come home nice and warm with their family at 6pm while you're holding somewhere over JFK in icing looking at your limited options and where you went wrong in life.

or watch the neighbor sheeple come back from their lame azz jobs they hate, after fighting traffic for 45 mins to get to the house.....so they can watch "dancing with the stars", go to bed & repeat for years on end.

sounds so appealing!

if you can't handle a bit of a challenge, maybe you should get out of the flying business.

Last edited:
-always take the first available upgrade (espicially if you don't have any previous 121 PIC turbine time)

I'll second that. Also, try to get at least 1000 hours of turbine PIC before moving on to another job.

Yeah ok. I was gone exactly six days in October, seven in September.

I guess its all where you work, my personal best on reserve was at work 24 days in one month. Not complaining though, my paycheck looked pretty good that month.

Watch your neighbors come home nice and warm with their family at 6pm while you're holding somewhere over JFK in icing looking at your limited options and where you went wrong in life.

Yeah, most white collar workers leave at 8 and come home at 6. Have a nice dinner with the family and sit down with the wife after the 2.3 kids have gone to bed and enjoy a nice night of watching television. They also get every weekend off and never worry about finances, retirement, promotions, benefits or job security either.

I don't know what world you live in, but having been a former white collar worker in "real" world before becoming a pilot, I can tell you most guys who started flying right after college have no clue as to what it is like on the other side.

The reality is more like get up before six every morning, fight rush hour traffic, sit in a cubicle, go to boring meetings with your boss, eat a fast food lunch in a cubicle, do more work in a cubicle, attend another meeting, report to your boss about your projects, fight rush hour traffic home. Have dinner and send the kids to bed, then break out the briefcase and get to work on the project you had to bring home so you can impress your boss and get a raise. Then find out the next day that you have to go to Oklahoma City for three days and you'll have to finish some work over the weekend when you get back because you have a deadline early next week. Oh, and then you find out they cannot give you that raise you have been working hard for. And yes, you will still have major worries about pay, benefits, promotions, retirement and job security.

The people who make more than $50,000 and only work 40 hours per week are very few and far between. And most of them are either lottery winners or named Paris Hilton. Most people who make decent money work far harder than we do as pilots and still have most of the same worries we do. Trust me, I have been there.

Latest resources

Back