Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My Story

Hello All,

Lackland (FSPOT and OTS), Laughlin (T-37 and T-38), Wurtsmith (B-52 and T-37), Castle (B-52), Langley (ACC Staff), Geilenkirchen (E-3 and NTCA) and Tinker (E-3 and TC-18). Was set to retire this November 1, but someone took care of that for me. I just completed the B-737 type rating and I'm treading water in the SWA hiring pool. Best wishes to all and Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
Three tours in Air Force Special Ops. B-707,MC-130E Combat Talon, Casa-212/Casa-235 (STOL), LearJet, and Army helos. Been flying goggles since '82 down in the dirt and lovin it!

Did Navy ROTC and flying the mighty USMC Battle Herk, in West Pac and the FRS............hoping for a nibble next year!

Incidentally, for all you computer smart people, how do you get your personal 'cool pic' on the signature. I'm not smart enough.

Retired AF. OTS (90 grueling days). C-17, C-9.

FedEx swimmer/telephone watcher

USAFA grad (don't hold that against me)

Laughlin AFB (UPT)
Beale AFB (Non-flying)
Dyess AFB (B-1B, T-38)
Laughlin AFB (T-38 Instructor)
Beale AFB (T-38 Instructor)

Separated in Nov 01, DC-10 for FedEx as S/O and T-38 reserves at Laughlin AFB (can't seem to get away....)

Navy Trained

I'm the last fully Navy trained pilot to fly the mighty E-6A/B (B-707)(LOL):D . Anyway did that for 4 years at Tinker AFB, I shoulda been in the Air Force. I love my crew rest. Now I am a T-34 pilot in Pensacola flying the Navigators/NFOs around. It is all First Pilot/PIC/IP time. Navs don't even log the landings or approaches they talk you through. A lot less stress than the pilot trainers.

I am starting with jetBlue in Feb and interview with SWA in Jan.

Good luck to all.

Evil Jim

All the services covered

Army Hueys (AD and Guard)
OTS
UPT at Willy
Tweet FAIP and PIT IP
F-15
T-34s
U-2/T-38

Hopefully retiring in July 02.

I was just reading back and came across this thread. I don't fly in the military..... YET.... It's my biggest dream to become a pilot in the Air Force, but an even bigger dream to be able to fly a fighter in the Air Force. Just one thing, don't know if I'm being too cocky or not but... I really don't want to get stuck in a helo. Yes, I'm a pilot and I'm in the air, but I just don't think I'll get a hardon flying a helo as much as I would flying an F15. Anybody know an average percentage rate of the guys from UPT that get selected to go fly a chopper?

Another question... FAIP (I think First Assignment Instructor Pilot) but, what is it exactly? Your first assignment is an IP? Would you consider that good.... or well, I really don't know how to ask it, but you get my point... :)

Thanks Guys!

maverick_fp00,

<Anybody know an average percentage rate of the guys from UPT that get selected to go fly a chopper?>
As far as I know, 0%. Maybe it is possible to get a helo out of UPT, but I have never heard of it - I can only speak for USAF.

<FAIP (I think First Assignment Instructor Pilot) but, what is it exactly?>
When you graduate from UPT, FAIPs (good guess on the name) go to PIT (pilot instructor training). It's a pretty intense course that makes you an instructor in a primary trainer (T-37, T-6, T-1, or T-38). Then you spend your first assignment teaching students how to fly (normally 3 years).

<Would you consider that good....>
For most guys - no. It really is a good job, but most guys want to go out and do something operational. Life as a UPT IP would likely be a lot more fun as a second assignment. I have some buds who loved it - good flying and most nights at home. A couple down sides: After your FAIP tour it is tough to land a great assignment (it can happen) - and- you will be a few years behind your peers in operational experience when you get to your first ops assignment. On the plus side, FAIPs usually turn out to be some of the better sticks and they rapidly upgrade to IP (I can only speak for the heavy world).

Purple

Purple Haze:

Ok, answers my question. What I was saying is that I really don't want to get selected to fly a chopper for the AF. For some reason I thought there were slots being given away for after T-37 training for a helo spot.

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back